Thanks to SFGATE-
Japanese free-agent Kosuke Fukudome has decided not to move to the Yomiuri Giants and will sign with a major league team instead, the Nikkansports newspaper reported Sunday.
Fukudome had previously indicated the Giants would be the only Japanese team he would consider playing for next season, but has now ruled them out, opening the way for a move to the major leagues. Fukudome has drawn interest from the Chicago Cubs, the San Diego Padres and the Chicago White Sox.
The 30-year-old Fukudome is regarded as one of the best outfielders in Japanese professional baseball. He was a key member of the Japan team that won the inaugural World Baseball Classic in March 2006.
He had surgery on his right elbow in August and sat out the Japan Series, but has 192 homers and a .305 batting average over nine seasons with the Chunichi Dragons, who won their first championship in 53 years on Nov. 2.
Now if he comes back and says this is not true I'm going to pull my hair out. Lets hope he makes a decision quickly so Hendry can move onto other matters like Roberts and Figgins. It seems Fukudome fever will hit Chicago Monday. He is expected to make a decision sometime next week on weather he will be a Cub, Padre, White Sox, or Royal. He has narrowed his choices down to those 4 teams with the Padres and Cubs being front runners to land him. Should be an interesting week to say the least because as soon as the Cubs get there RF situation handled they can move to other needs and upgrades like pitching, 2b, and CF.
Quote of the day-
"He's got enough information to decide which [offer] he plans on taking early next week, the Tokyo [Yomiuri] offer or a Major League club," Urbon said.