Here is the latest on the Chicago Cubs from a long layoff from HSC…
- So the Cubs are doing what they do best, exceeding expectations after they are ruled out of the playoffs.
- The Cubs are considering re-signing Carlos Pena but sources say they will court Pujols and Fielder first.
- Pena is very interested in re-signing with the Cubs and may even give them a discount. Pena is a good clubhouse guy, has a decent glove, and a great power hitter but Fielder is more of a move for the future rather than signing Pena.
- Carlos Zambrano might have thrown his last pitch for the Cubs or any team. The Cubs placed him on the restricted list after his tirade and ejection. He can’t have contact with the team for 30 days. Many speculate he will be dealt or released before the start of the 2012 season. Some close to Carlos said he may end up retiring to concentrate on other things and get his head together. CubbieCrib has the best information on this story.
- While I have always been a Zambrano fan and do think he is a great competitor and player; it is hard to come back from this. Being the Cubs you have to move on from him as much as it pains me to say. Watching Z leave the Cubs this way is hard to swallow and no way did I expect his to leave on these terms but it seems that is what will happen. I would like to point out that Carlos Zambrano’s actions have cemented his fate but by no means do I think they should define him as a player on the Chicago Cubs.
- Speaking of Z, the Dbacks just lost Jason Marquis for 4-6 weeks and have interest in Carlos Zambrano according to sources.
- Bob Nightengale came out with some interesting news; Hendry is likely to be retained. He said unless Ricketts changes his mind Hendry will remain GM for next season which is the final year of his contract. This likely means Quade will be retained but Crane Kenney will likely be replace with a guy like Pat Gillick or Brain Cashman. There are also rumors they could be grooming Maddux as the eventual successor to Hendry.
- If the Cubs retain Hendry that means no Sandberg in 2012 and from the news he might find himself on a major league coaching staff next season.
- It seems the Cubs have signed (officially or unofficially) all their draft picks except Shawon Duston Jr., Ricky Jacquez, and Taylor Dugas. The big two (Baez and Vogelbach) are expected to have an official announcement by the deadline.
- The Cubs would like to continue to bring in clubhouse guys and are targeting Nick Swisher as utility player for their bench. The Yankees hold an option on Swisher and has been a solid everyday player for them so it would be hard to say he would not find everyday work somewhere.
Please excuse the length between post but I am in moving mode so I will try to keep up on all things Cubs via twitter and will try to post on my blog as much as I can. Please hang in there and stay tuned.
Until Next Time...