------UPDATE!- The Cubs have sent Chris Volstad to Iowa and called up Blake Lalli. Travis Wood will take Volstad's start on Tuesday when he is called up from Iowa.
3 straight days with blog updates… Signs of the Apocalypse!
- A hard day for Cub fans when Kerry Wood announced he would retire (likely after today’s game) but will be made official tomorrow. Kerry still hopes to pitch one more time out of the pen and go out on good terms. Some reports say he will pitch today while others say he will pitch sometime during this cross-town series. One thing is for sure Kerry Wood will be missed and it is going to be hard to say goodbye to one of my favorite Cubs of all time.
- Chris Volstad is likely out of the rotation after his consecutive bad outings streak. Guys that could replace him are Casey Coleman, Chris Rusin, Randy Wells, and the favorite Travis Wood.
- Geovany Soto will under go arthroscopic surgery and will likely be out 3-4 weeks. He as a torn meniscus which is hard on a catcher but recover time is usually pretty good.
- Welington Castillo will likely get the bulk of the starts until Clevenger is healthy. The Cubs could and will likely call up Blake Lalli to replace Soto who is headed for the DL.
- When Clevenger proves he is healthy he will likely get the bulk of the playing time unless Castillo can prove something within the week.
- One great thing that comes from a Soto injury is we get to see the future together behind the plate. If both Castillo and Clevenger prove they can handle the duties then Soto instantly becomes trade bait (if he is not already) if back by the trade deadline. If not then you can expect the Cubs to non-tender Soto who will likely make $6.5M next season.
Until Next Time…