So I had a nice long Father’s Day weekend but now it is time to get back to work with a ton of updates-
- The Orioles have been scouting the Cubs a lot and want to get Matt Garza and Alfonso Soriano in the same deal.
- Even with Dempster on the DL the Dodgers and Blue Jays remain the most likely suitors followed by the Braves, Red Sox, and Yankees.
- The Blue Jays are likely to land more than one starter out of the trade market and one of them could be from the Cubs.
- The Red Sox will have to give up Middlebrooks in a deal with Dempster or Garza.
- The Cubs are willing to kick in a lot of money in a deal to get better or more prospects in potential trades.
- A run down of the transactions that happened recently goes like this.
Cubs put Dempster on the DL with lat tightness
Called up Scott Maine
Activated Geovany Soto from the DL
Sent Welington Castillo to Iowa
Randy Wells will start Weds.
- Justin Bour will be in the Southern League All-Star Homerun Derby.
- To add to the Ryan Dempster conspiracy David Kaplan said the Dodgers put top SP prospect Chris Reed on the DL.
- LaHair will see more the outfield which is a precursor to Anthony Rizzo being called up very soon.
- Soriano is gaining interest from several teams now and the Cubs are likely to deal him before the deadline.
- The Cubs are interested in eligible Cuban free agent Armando Rivero who is a 23 year old pitcher. He has a nice three pitch mix that hits mid 90s and is a nice power pitcher standing at 6’3’’ and 195lbs. The collective bargaining agreement does not happen until July 2nd so if he signs before then the cap does not affect his status of what he can be paid.
- The Cubs are also very interested in 21 year old outfielder Yasel Puig who according to scouts is a more polished Jorge Soler but not as seasoned as Cespedes. He has in fact defected and could be a free agent by this week. His agent says he is likely to sign before the July 2nd collective bargaining deadline and will hold workouts this week.
- If the Cubs are able to land not only Soler but Rivero and Puig they will have entrenched a nice foundation in the south.
- Teams are asking about Darwin Barney according to Ken Rosenthal and the Cubs might consider moving him but only for the right price. I expect the Tigers to be the most aggressive suitor.
- The White Sox cannot afford Dempster.
- Ian Stewart will have to earn his spot back on the team.
- Dempster should bring back two young prospects.
- Time will tell if Rizzo is the real deal.
- Rizzo will likely not be in Chicago by the weekend but do not count him starting Monday against the Mets.
- Marmol is going to get every opportunity to close games for the Cubs.
- The same reason to trade LaHair is the reasons to keep him.
- The Cubs know they have to pay most of Soriano’s contract but they want the best prospects in return which is a hang-up in a deal for the acquiring team.
- Levine talked to Casey Coleman about BJax and he says he is going to be a top player once he determines his zone. On side note how sad is it that since Hendry left Chicago writers are going to the Casey Coleman’s of the world for info.
- Almora will sign but not until the July 13th deadline to get more money.
- Barney will only be traded for a projected ML player.
- Sveum will get three years at least to turn things around.
- No reason why Rizzo would not hit 3rd, 4th, or 5th.
- Braves top talent evaluator Jim Fregosi was at the Cubs game last and the Braves have interest in Garza.
When Rizzo is called up here is the lineup I would like to see (with Soriano in the lineup)-
- David DeJesus CF L
- Starlin Castro SS R
- Anthony Rizzo 1st L
- Alfonso Soriano LF R
- Bryan LaHair RF L
- Geovany Soto C R
- Luis Valbeuna 3rd L
- Darwin Barney 2b R
Until Next Time….