- The Cubs have acquired 29 year old right Justin Germano (stats here) for cash considerations from the Red Sox. Casey Coleman was scratched in case Germano could not make it to St. Louis and Jairo Asensio was DFA. This to me smells like a trade brewing even though Ryan Dempster himself has said nothing is imminent as of game time.
- Germano is expected to start Friday.
- Bleacher Nation said his source told him a Dempster deal is close and he has two offers on the table from NL clubs
- The Cubs made a BIG signing today inking 22 year old Dominican pitcher Juan Carlos Paniagua to a 1.5M dollar deal. He has a fastball that his 98 MPH but stays in the low to mid 90's and a nasty slider.
Here is the most recent Cub news-
- The Cards have emerged as serious suitors for Dempster. They have Shelby Miller and Oscar Taveras but they are likely untouchable. Some other interesting pitching prospects are 24 year old Joe Kelly, 22 year old Anthony Ferrara, 22 year old Ryan Sherriff, and 23 Kyle Hald. Some position player prospects that could be a good fit are 2nd baseman Kolton Wong and IF Starlin Rodriguez.
- David Kaplan says the Cubs are currently in negotiations with the Dodgers regarding a trade for Ryan Dempster.
- The Tigers have said Dempster price is too high and may turn to pitchers Wandy Rodriguez and Jason Vargas. (That is good news if you are the Cubs because you should ask for a lot, limited compromise)
- The Rays have discussed four players with the Cubs including Geovany Soto, Shawn Camp, Alfonso Soriano, and Carlos Marmol sources tell me.
- Patrick Mooney has a good article on the state of the Cubs going into free agency next season found here.
- Cubsden says the Cubs may not be focused on just pitching but the best overall prospect in a trade.
- I talked to a source who told me that the Cubs are requiring Turner for Dempster in a deal but also want more.
- That same source also told me that the Royals are emerging as one of the top suitors for Matt Garza. The Royals who likely would not make Wil Meyers available still could offer up Jake Odorizzi, Kelvin Herrera, or Mike Montgomery (who has struggled this season).
- Another source says the Royals would give up Wil Meyers plus some mid-level prospects for Matt Garza if they have a window to sign him to an extension.
- BleacherNation has the latest on Theo Epstein doing some talking.
- Maholm is being scouted by “more than 5 teams” thanks to my insider at the game today. He says the Nationals and Cards have their top scouts present.
Until Next Time…