Some thoughts I had from the first game:
· Our defense looks pretty solid.
· We need an RBI threat in this lineup.
· Bunting again…I hate bunting.
· Not worried about guys struggling this early.
· Shark’s trade value is going to be a lot better this year.
· No reason not to have Bonifacio play every day.
· A lot of opening day jitters on both sides.
· The lineup already needs tweeked (more later).
· I think our pen might be pretty solid this year.
· Why does Neil Walker kill us.
Now in regards to our lineup. I hate already questioning Renteria’s first ever lineup but that is exactly what I am going to do. Here is what I see as a solid lineup against RHP and LHP.
1. Bonifacio CF
2. Kalish LF
3. Rizzo 1st
4. Olt 3b
5. Castro SS
6. Schierholtz RF
7. Valbuena 2b
8. Castillo C
1. Bonifacio CF
2. Castro SS
3. Olt 3b
4. Lake LF
5. Rizzo 1b
6. Ruggiano RF
7. Castillo C
This is the lineups I would trot out on a regular basis. I do realize that other players are going to get more (including Sweeney who is not in either lineup) playing time but it is pretty interchangeable to me. I believe Bonifacio should always lead off until he needs a day off then I think Kalish should get the leadoff spot those days. I also think bathing Rizzo 3rd or 4th against a lefty is a mistake. I would suggest batting him 5th or even 2nd when a lefty is on the mound. I also love Lake in a RBI spot against a lefty. In a small sample size Lake is hitting .375 with a .412 OBP in 64 AB. We have a nice lineup and a nice balance. It just needs to be tweaked some to get the most production.
This just makes sense to me but I would also like to hear your take.
Until Next Time..