My blog is having maintenance done to it which is the reason I have not been able to update it recently. So here is the latest Cubs Chatter-
- The Cubs have signed Bobby Howry to a contract. No word on the amount of the contract but Howry is expected to work in middle relief. I am not sure if Howry is the answer but it is an upgrade over some of the pitchers we have trotted out of the pen this season. I just don’t know if I am ready for another stint with Bobby Howry. I hope he proves me wrong because this pen needs work.
- Tom Gorzelanny’s X-rays on this hand came up negative. Tom was struck on the hand by a line drive last night and he is day to day and could maybe make his next start if the swelling goes down.
- CCO.com has a great prospect profile on Hak-Ju Lee. Go check it out, Starlin Castro and Hak-Ju Lee is the future middle infielders for the Chicago Cubs. Maybe as early as the start of the 2012 season.
- Despite Zambrano showing progress in the pen recently the Cubs are going to start to extend him and build up his stamina. He will assume the long relief position in the bullpen which is the next step to being inserted back into the rotation. Although Z says he will do whatever the team wants him to do and how he just wants to help the team. You can tell he is just not happy with the role. I expect Z to be inserted back in the rotation before June 1st.
- Caridad was placed on the 15 day DL with an “elbow injury.” The Cubs called up Jeff Stevens to take his place. It is likely Stevens will be sent back down once Bobby Howry joins the team.
- Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe says the Cubs would trade Derrek Lee if the opportunity presented itself. That thought may have changed since the Cubs have just rattled off 4 wins in a row. The Cubs currently do not have a 1st baseman in their farm system so getting a nice 1st baseman prospect back might be in order. The Rangers could use Lee and the Cubs have shown interest in Smoak, so there is a possible deal. I also heard this rumor which is interesting if anything. Carlos Pena for Derrek Lee straight across. There is only a 3.25 million difference in contracts with Lee getting paid more. Both could use a change of scenery. The Rays could look to get better defensively and the Cubs are looking for an impact left-handed bat to balance their lineup. Both have struggled but Lee looks like he maybe coming out of it while Pena still looks lost. I will keep you updated on this if this rumor has legs.
- The Cubs have contacted the Red Sox about Mike Lowell according to sources. Lowell recently asked for his release (or was about to). Lowell has lost out on playing time to Youklis, Ortiz, and Beltre. The Red Sox are willing to pay the majority of Lowell's contract just to get him to another team. I am told the trade could be Jeff Baker for Mike Lowell with the Red Sox paying around 10 million of the 12 million left on his contract. The Cubs could be looking for a veteran presence off the bench as well as a spot starter for Lee and Aram. If this deal does go through it could also be insurance in case Aram continues to scuffle or in fact his thumb is worst than we thought. I will keep you updated.
Until Next Time Cubs fans…..