· Looks like everyone is getting a whole lot healthier with Starlin Castro to be back to game action today. Ian Stewart and Brent Lillibridge will see game action off the bench on Thursday while Josh Vitters is expected to be back a few days after that.
· Many media outlets are reporting Dan Vogelbach is taking some grounders at 3rd this spring which is surprising. Vogelbach has trimmed down but it sounds like the Cubs are just doing their due diligence at seeing if he can handle the hot corner giving the black hole that is presently there without much depth in the minors.
· The likely hood of Ian Stewart making the team is still good baring a setback considering the amount he is owed and the lack of depth at the position.
· The Chicago Cubs front office told Carlos Marmol’s agent to expect to be traded this season (likely before the deadline).
· Garza could only miss the first two weeks of the season and make his 2013 debut against the Brewers on April 19th if everything goes as planned.
· Garza just started playing catch but they are really taking it easy to prevent any more setbacks.
· The Tigers want to trade either Smyly or Porcello before Opening Day because the front office does not view either one as a part of their bullpen. Both are battling for the 5th spot in the rotation. The Cubs have interest in both.
· In case you missed it the Cubs signed Armando Rivero from the DR.
· Scott Baker is getting closer to Cactus League action who is scheduled to start a minor league game then make his debut if all goes well after that start.
· The Cubs assigned Logan Watkins, Trey McNutt, Alberto Cabrera, Robert Whitenack, and Nick Struck to minor league camp.
· From most of the MLB mock drafts it looks like the Cubs will either take Appel or Manaea at #2.
Now the latest from Levine-
· Cubs like Stewart’s power potential which is why he will be around. Vitters will start in AAA.
· Javier Baez has looked great to Levine’s surprise.
· Szczur has more to learn this season but is a big season to prove he is a future ML.
· Cubs first pick will be a pitcher in the draft but may also be considering drafting a 3rd baseman.
· Garza will be ready by the end of April beginning of May.
· He really like Rusin and Rondon for the pen but not sure on Bowden.
· Dan Vogelbach could make it as a left fielder.
· WARNING! LEVINE BACKTRACKING… Market for Marmol has been strong but unless someone loses a closer or set-up guy he will stick around.
· Clevenger will likely not make.
· Cubs will get all their offense from Rizzo, Castro, and Soriano.
· Levine hearts Barney
· Yankees not interested in Soriano.
· Baez could be the exception to the rule on Abs in the minors. He could make the team in 2014.
Until Next Time….