- The Cubs will interview Don Wakamatsu for their manager position.
- Adam Dunn will be the Cubs top priority and a lot of sources expect the Cubs to offer him a multi-year deal.
- Zambrano is up to his old song and dance. He says after this contract he expects to retire to spend more time with his family.
- Tha M's have interest in interviewing Ryne Sandberg for their Manager vacancy. If I were Sandberg I would not step anywhere near Seattle.
- Some really good quotes from Ricketts-
"We have to have a manager who really understands ... the scrutiny you get and (must) be able to handle those periods in June when you lose three games in a row and people start talking about Year 103 of the curse. We have to someone who understands what they're getting into."
Ricketts said the team will be younger going forward and the new manager must be able to teach fundamentals as well. The Cubs are looking for their next manager to be with the organization "for a long time."
"I think we're going to bring in someone who has in their mind that this is their job and their position forever."
To me that says it can really only be 4 candidates for the job; Ryne Sandberg, Mike Quade, Joe Girardi, and maybe even Bob Brenly. Brenly has been named a candidate recently and said to get an interview in the near future. Bob Brenly has been an announcer for the Cubs 2004 and has been very insightful and critical of the Cubs during that time which points out the passion he has to manage again. I look at him as a viable canidate.
- Levine says the Cubs starting 2nd baseman this coming season will be Orlando Hudson. I would love to see O-dawg in Cubbie blue. His defense at 2nd is among the best in baseball and he is a switch hitter that can handle the bat. Ideal #2 hitter in the lineup but also could see him hitting leadoff or 7th. This move would place DeWitt as a super utility player and to back up Aram at 3rd which is his natural position. It would also likely place Baker in another uniform considering how inexpensive and good Darwin Barney is doing. Not to mention the Cubs could get Hudson for a one year deal worth 5 million or so.
- Bruce also thinks every player will be made available this winter except Starlin Castro. He says even Carlos Marmol and Tyler Colvin. Trading our young talent is not the way to build this ball club. The Cubs have done this in the past and it has not worked. I expect if Marmol and Colvin are available they should have a HUGE price tag to essentially make them unavailable.
- Levine also thinks Jay Jackson will break camp with the Cubs as their 5th starter. I can see that.
Until Next Time.....
Look for more frequent updates as we get closer to the World Series and into the off-season. It should be another fun one for the Cubs and here at Hot Stove Cubbies!!!