· The Cubs picked Julio Borbon off of waivers and DFA Alberto Gonzalez who passed waivers and was sent to AAA Iowa.
· The Cubs expect to make a corresponding move in the next week in order to add depth to their infield which consist of their starters and Cody Ransom.
· There is a lot of talk of David Sappelt being sent back down to Iowa but since he is the only right handed bat they are hesitant to do so.
· The Cubs are still expected to call up Ian Stewart in the next 7 days or so which would require another roster move. There has been a lot of talk of Stewart losing starting time because of the good play by Luis Valbuena.
· What would make the most sense is if the Cubs traded the hot hitting David DeJesus or veteran Alfonso Soriano.
· Dale Sveum confirmed that when discussing player demotion he was not specifically talking about Rizzo or Castro but the whole team.
· MLBTR has a good piece on Carlos Villanueva as a trade candidate which I say is swell but I also think he could be an extension candidate given the fact he has not been relied on as a starter throughout his career and the Cubs are in need for pitching. Carlos is only 29 years old and I think could be a part of the building for the future. Although if a team is willing to give up a nice prospect package (better than Maholm) for him then by all means trade him.
· Sveum has put himself on the hot seat recently but has Theo’s backing. Honestly firing him during the season makes no sense and if they are going to transition to someone else it is likely to be in the off-season. Unless something drastic happens Sveum is going to be the manager the entire year. Although at the end of the year I can see Jed and Theo take feelers around the league for a manager that maybe fits the next phase in their plans. (Hint: Mike Maddux).
· I think at the deadline the Cubs are going to end up trading Carlos Villanueva, Scott Feldman, and Matt Garza out of the rotation while keeping Shark, Wood, and EJax. Then I expect the Cubs to be big players on David Price and expect to slot Arodys Vizcaino into the rotation as well next season. That would give them 5 solid starters plus acquiring the young talent from CarVill and Garza to either flip for Price or fill in the gaps for prospects gone in a potential David Price deal.
Here are some tidbits from Levine’s chat today-
· Cubs are not going to fire Sveum.
· An outfielder will be out when Stewart gets back to Chicago.
· If the Cubs are prepared to trade Baez then they could get Stanton. It would take more but it take at least him. (I trade Baez and others in a heartbeat for Stanton).
· Any player 28 and younger fits the Cubs future plans.
Until Next Time…