Today is the day before the Winter Meetings and here is some notes and rumors to get you through today....
- Rosenthal says despite the Rangers interest the Rays remain the front runners for Bradley.
- Jon Heyman says the Cubs and Rays are "not close" on a Pat Burrell-Milton Bradley swap. He also says getting the Mets and Luis Castillo involved is "not helping." I am certain Heyman is very negative to anything Chicago Cub related.
- According to Gordon Wittenmyer of the Sun-Times the Cubs are interested and targeting Mike Cameron and Marlon Byrd but first must trade Bradley. Lou plans on meeting with Cameron's agent at the Winter Meetings. I just do not think the Cubs can afford Byrd. He is looking for a three year deal worth around 7 million a season. He made 3 million last season and with career numbers he is looking to cash in. Cameron on the other hand you can add for a one or two year deal worth half the amount Byrd is seeking. Plus Cameron is better in my opinion.
- The Royals expect Meche and DeJesus to receive interest at the meetings. The Cubs should have some interest in DeJesus. He is signed for 4.7 million in 2010 and a club option for 6 million in 2011. The Royals want young talent in return while cutting payroll so the Cubs could offer up a package that included maybe Mike Fontenot, Sean Marshall, or any of their young players under team control. DeJesus is a lefty who can play all three outfield positions. He batted .281 with 13 homers, and 71 RBI last season (which he has put consistently throughout his career). Definitely a guy worth calling about.
- Speaking of the Royals.... A while back the A's and Royals had failed talks on Alberto Callaspo. The Royals acquire Chris Getz which makes Callaspo available via trade. Royals GM Dayton Moore even confirmed that they are not pushing out any of their players but are open-minded on trading all of them. That should interest the Cubs very much. Alberto Callaspo is a 26 year old switch hitting 2nd baseman by trade but can play all around the diamond. Callaspo is not even arbitration eligible yet and provides the Royals with a very valuable trade chip they want to cash in. Last season he posted a .300 avg with a .356 OBP, 11 homers, 73 RBI in 155 games played.
The Cubs need to target this guy if they haven't already. He could provide the spark they need from the 2nd base position for years to come. Not to mention the expectation that Castro will soon be ready to play big league shortstop helps as well. The Cubs would then have one of the most dynamic young duo in MLB if they continue to live up to expectation, produce, and making leaps forward. I would even include a player like Tyler Colvin, Andrew Cashner, or Shark in a deal for Callaspo. That is how much potential I think this kid has!
- Levine stated that Jeff Baker will be a utility player next season splitting time between 2nd and 3rd base.
- Levine says Hudson will likely sign with the Rockies.
- Levine also said their is a 50% chance Castro makes the big leagues out of Spring Training. That is surprising.
- Levine says Juan Uribe and Khalil Greene could be backup players the Cubs should look at. I agree but only if they are bench players.
- Hendry says they are targeting an outfielder, a bench guy that can play outfield, and a bullpen arm.
- Hendry says he has a lot of things to talk about with other team in the Winter Meetings and the Cubs are going to be aggressive and try to get "things" done.
- Lou loves Mike Cameron and the feeling is mutual. I expect him to be a Cub unless they get Granderson.
- The Cubs dismissed the rumors that they are interested in Vicente Padilla. The only way the Cubs get a veteran pitcher is if the deal included Bradley going the other way.
- There is still a chance Lou is manager of the Cubs after the 2010.
- Bruce Miles says that Rick Ankiel and David DeJesus are not high on the Cubs list nor do they fit their needs. Kind of interesting.
- Jim Hendry does not feel he needs to add a starter regardless of Ted Lilly's health. Even though Lou would like to add a middle of the rotation starter. I like Doug Davis, Noah Lowry, Randy Johnson, and Brett Myers.
Looking Forward to Monday!
Always look here for breaking news and rumors!