Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Spring Training Talk, UPDATE

UPDATE FROM MESA-

- All Cubs have reported to Spring Training except Fukudome who will be playing in the WBC.

- Lee said it does not matter to him if he bats 3rd, 4th, 5th, or even 6th. I think he would be a decent #2 hitter. He also says February is not time to get worked up over lineups.

- Soriano is in tremendous shape according to Bruce Miles.

- Soriano is willing to hit anywhere Lou wants him to.

- Aram and Lee will not play in the WBC.

- Lilly will play in the WBC for team USA.

- Jeff Stevens was throwing some nasty curveballs today.

- Barack O'bama has been invited by the Cubs to visit their ST site on Weds. He is a damn BlackSox fan! LOL

Here some tidbit from Mesa-

- According to Cubs.com Hoffpuir will make the cubs roster as the 5th outfielder and backup first base. It is Hoffpauir's job to lose according to Lou. He would actually be the 6th outfielder with Gathright in there. Soriano, Fukudome, Johnson, Bradley, Gathright, and Hoffpauir.

- Cory Provus is leaving the Cubs for the Brewers.

- Lou will move down Soriano in ST to see how he does. Mike Fontenot, Aaron Miles, Ryan Theriot or Kosuke Fukudome could be used to lead off. Lets hope Hudson!

- Miles and Fonty will back up Aram at 3rd as of right now.

- Paul Sullivan thinks Jim will make another move in ST. I wonder who?

- Throw Mitch Atkins in the mix for the 5th starter job. He will joining Aaron Heilman, Sean Marshall, Chad Gaudin, and Samardzija in the mix for the last spot in the rotation. I see Gaudin and Jeff as long shots. With Atkins in the mix he could surprise some people. He throws a low 90s fastball, nice curveball, and change up. He does have a nice cutter as well.

More to Come!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have lost all respect for Cory Provus. He said he was always a true Cubs fan, that was nothing but a lie. I hope the Cubs organization just throw his stuff out of the door. I wish him nothing but the worst. Well, he will have a longer off season with the Brewers. Brewers won't make the post season, but the Cubs will. I have 0 respect for him. Dont let the door hit ya in the ***.

Antoine Dantzler-Driver said...

i've heard alot of good things about Mitch Atkins so look out for him

Nick I Cub Fan said...

I don't see cubs getting Hudson, cause the union will never allow sign and trade deals. And the cubs won't give up a draft pick for Hudson. Just my opinion.

cubsfan82 said...

Nick I,

It looks like the Union is going to be pretty relaxed on it this year-

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/02/mlb-to-lend-a-h.html

Nick I Cub Fan said...

Then HELLO Hudson. You know more about what's going on than i do.
My guess then would be Gathright doesn't make the team.

waldo7239117 said...

Have you here anything on the Cubs ownership?

cubsfan82 said...

I really hope Gathright makes the team Nick I. We would love that speed off the bench!

Waldo,

No new news on the ownership yet.

Anonymous said...

I'm curious about D. Lee..
Does anyone know if he did anything different in terms of workouts during the off season to try to
bring back the power??