Here are some early morning grumblings from the Hot Stove world-
- Gordon Wittenmyer said today that the 3 free agent the Cubs want to bring back( Dempster, Wood, and Blanco) looks like they are going to test the free agent waters before the sign with the Cubs. Gordon did say there is a good chance none of them come back. I personally expect Dempster and Blanco to be back and think Wood is either heading to Texas or the Mets for a 3 year deal with guaranteed money.
- Gordon also says that BOTH teams are going to try to get a third team involved so they do not have to give up so many top prospects for Peavy. He echos the idea that Josh Vitters could be the center piece of the package. I do not like the idea but Vitters is untested and Peavy is a Cy Young award winner. Hard to argue that.
- He also stats that the Peavy situation should be resolved before Dempster signs somewhere and he also feels that the Cubs can afford both Ryan and Jake.
- According to Bruce Miles on WGN radio, a package of Josh Vitters, Sean Marshall, and Wellington Castillo, and others could get the deal done. While Felix Pie and Ronny Cedeno are not appealing to the Padres(first we heard of that).
- Miles also said the ball is in the Padres court and he feels the Cubs have a strong package of players to land Peavy. He also went on to say that if the Cubs traded Marquis which they would love to do then they could afford landing Peavy, signing Dempster, and getting a power left handed bat.
- I have seen no other evidence that the Desipio rumor is true so we will label this one a "Unfound Rumor."
More to come.......