There is a whole lot of rumors floating around today so lets get caught up!
- Rosenthal reports that the Cubs are willing to give Dempster a 4 year deal EVEN IF they land Jake Peavy! That is some great news! It gives the Cubs a really good chance of landing Dempster now. Also according to Ken the Cubs can in fact absorb the 4 years and 63 million of Peavy's contract while committing at least 50 million for 4 years for Dempster with the Cubs up for sale. So much for this being a dull off season.
- Rosenthal did say that there would be a ripple effect on the Cubs roster is they were to resign Dempster and trade for Peavy. Here is what he suggest-
* The Cubs would not be able to sign Wood. ( Fine by me!)
* Several player may have to be traded to reduce payroll, including Jason Marquis.( Depending on the players involved I am OK with this)
* They may have to go for a cheaper left-handed hitting outfielder than originally thought.( Jeremy Hermida anyone??)
- Cubs are front runners to land Peavy according to Ken Rosenthal, "perhaps even ahead of the Braves." He also stated that the Cubs want to re-sign Dempster. What a rotation, Peavy, Z, Demp, Lilly and Harden. The Padres also like the Cubs' young pitching even though we do not have the "big named prospects" like Atlanta does.
- Ken also says that the Braves are offering Escobar and either Jo-Jo Reyes or Charlie Morton and a unnamed player. Does not sound too impressive to me. Rosenthal also said the Cubs package is like to be "fluid."
- Chris De Luca says the Cubs are in heavy pursuit of Peavy( he is a day late and a dollar short). But he does say it is because Dempster's high demands, he wants 5 years 70MM. Are you SERIOUS!!!! He is likely to settle for 4 years 5o-60 million with the Cubs in my opinion.
More to come later!!!!