Monday, February 26, 2007

Barrett wants to stay a cub and Prior and Wood taking no chances

Read this article on Micheal Barrett.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-070225cubsbrite,1,5126988.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines

There are alot of things he said in there that make me so happy he is a Cub and I hope he is a Cub for years to come. But two quotes stand out to me. Here they are-

"I will put no deadline or nothing on anything," Barrett said. "For me, I feel like I've been through a lot as a player, and I feel completely blessed to be a part of this team. For me, if there's a distraction that keeps you from appreciating putting on a Cubs uniform, then something ain't right. That's the way I feel."

He spoke like a true Cub! He deserves a extension, he is a great offensive catcher and a even better guy.

"If I'm catching and we win a World Series, it'll all work itself out," Barrett said. "Everything will take care of itself. My focus is to come to the field, really work hard to be a champion that day, and whatever happens happens.

------------------------------------------------------------

Here is an interesting article on Prior and Wood-




MESA, Ariz. — Cubs manager Lou Piniella acted quickly Sunday to stave off any panic peddling when it comes to pitcher Mark Prior.
Prior threw live batting practice early in the morning, throwing 35 pitches to nonroster men Koyie Hill and Jake Fox. He reported no problems and said he’ll be ready for the start of the Cactus League season.
However, Piniella and pitching coach Larry Rothschild don’t plan to use Prior until the team is at least five games through the exhibition season.
“Prior threw early today, and talking to Larry Rothschild, he took a nice step forward,” Piniella said. “He cut some balls loose. He felt good after the workout was over. No pain. No discomfort. It’s good news when we keep these guys going forward.”
Piniella further stated that Kerry Wood will join Prior in not pitching until the second week of Cactus League games. Both Prior and Wood are coming back from shoulder woes. Wood will go into the bullpen, and Prior said he’s shooting to be ready by Opening Day.
“Don’t jump to any conclusions on this; this is precautionary, nothing more, nothing else,” Piniella about Prior. “No issues. Nothing. We want to keep it positive. We want to see small, but steady, progress.”
Rothschild said Prior will throw another batting practice Tuesday and that Prior’s velocity is “getting close” to being 100 percent.
“He’s not at full velocity from what we’ve seen a couple years ago, but it’s definitely improving,” Rothschild said.
When asked if Prior would be ready for the season, Rothschild said: “I have no indication that he won’t be.”
If Prior is the fifth starter, it’s conceivable they wouldn’t need to use him until April 11 because of an off-day in the schedule.
Speed trap: To hear pitcher Wade Miller tell it, velocity on his fastball is not an issue.
“Actually, I think my velocity is where I need it to be right now,” Miller said Sunday. “To be honest, I think I’m throwing better now than I was at the end of the season last year. I’m not really worried about velocity right now. With five weeks to go, I’m pretty happy with where it is right now.”
Miller underwent surgery on his right shoulder following his 2005 season with the Boston Red Sox. The former Houston Astros standout signed with the Cubs last off-season and spent most of 2006 rehabbing. In 5 September starts, he went 0-2 with a 4.57 ERA before resuming the rehab in the winter.
On Saturday, manager Lou Piniella offered that “velocity’s not the name of the game with Wade.”
Miller threw 36 pitches during live batting practice Saturday and said he felt fine. He also said he expects to be ready Opening Day.
“Oh, I think so,” he said. “I don’t see any setbacks right now. Something major would have to happen for me to not be ready. I might have been a little behind when I came in because I was only throwing every other day, but right now, I feel fine. I feel right on track.”

I honestly believe what Lou and Larry are saying unlike some fans. But can you blame them for being skeptical? Wood and Prior have spent more time doing towel drills than working in games in the past 3 years. But this team has new thing to it, and I think its a straight forward manager. I believe in whatever Lou tells us. He hasn't went astray, he hasn't lied to us, so why doubt him. He is NOT Dusty! If you look at the way things set up having them pitch next week makes since. They have Marquis, Z, Miller, Samaj, Cotts, Lilly, and Hill. Those players all need there work to and having all those pitch before Prior and Wood is genius to me. Why have the risk of an oft-injured Wood and Prior start the first couple of ST games? The point of Spring is to get healthy and ready for the season, giving them more rest makes more sense then running them out there saying OK, go out there and go full speed. Players coming off of injuries need more time that's all. Don't look into it so much Cubs fans! The only time to worry is if Prior and Wood don't pitch the following Thursday.

No comments: