Here is a late afternoon update to summarize what happened late last night until now. Here we go-
- The Cubs are currently shopping Soriano to the O’s as only a salary dump. The Cubs are expected to eat 75% or more of this contract to get a deal done. The Cubs would likely just receive a PTBNL.
- Numerous reports suggested the Cubs made an offer to Pujols with just one (Carrie Muskat) denying those reports. I then heard two of my sources say an offer was made just disagreeing on the amount. One source said the Cubs offered 5 years with an option for 6 at $165M over the life of the contract while the other stats an offer of 5 years $145M has been offered. That same source also stated he expects the Marlins to go as high as 10 years $260M with a NTC for Pujols. That is not to far off from reports of 10 years $220M with a NTC.
- The Angels and Cubs are the most active on Ian Stewart according to Jon Morosi.
- The Chicago Cubs plan on making an offer to Prince Fielder in today’s meeting. According to this source the Cubs could go as high as 6 years with a 7th option year. While other reports suggest the Cubs prefer Fielder over Pujols and would like to sign Fielder at less years but higher annual salary. One report says 5 years $160M could be an offer the Cubs would submit to Boras.
- Paul Sullivan says if Pujols lands in Miami that will cause the Fish to deal Gaby Sanchez in which the Cubs would have great interest in because he fits in their long-term plans. I see Gaby more as a guy that fits now with a low salary and has 3 arbitration years left which could take us up to the Vogelbach era.
- There are rumors of a possible opt out clause in play for Fielder and Pujols which would give the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and Cubs a chance to land them in 2-4 years.
- Phil Rogers is saying the Pujols situation IS GOING TO BE DECIDED in the next 36 hours. I would have to agree especially with reports that the Marlins have offered 10 years and the Cardinals will have a chance to submit their bid before a decision is made; it is a make or break for both teams.
- Bleacher Nation is saying one of his sources has been swayed from Garza “probably not” going to be traded to “probably.” Peter Gammons even thinks he will be eventually traded.
- Bruce Levine names James Russell as a possible target for the Padres for Headley. Sounds good to me.
- The Cubs are getting several calls on two players recently; Darwin Barney and Randy Wells.
- Epstein says he is interested in bringing back Rodrigo Lopez but maybe he is just kidding because I just don’t see why with all the other pitchers on the market.
- Carlos Pena will not accept arbitration according to numerous sources.
- The Marlins are really concentration on Pujols but that did not stop them by meeting with the Cubs about Carlos Zambrano. The Marlins wanted to know the asking price on Z. I would take Christian Yelich! Actually I would trade him just for salary relief at this time.
- The Cubs are cooling on Stewart and the Rockies asking price.
- The suitors for Fielder are dwindling. The known are the Cubs, Mariners, Blue Jays, and Brewers.
- The Cubs are reluctant to give Fielder 7 years like he is seeking. Mariners may go 7 to get him which makes sense since he could DH later in deal.
- Sveum said they have not talked to Prince which is likely true because all talks have been with Boras.
Until Next Time..
Until Next Time...