- The Cubs traded D.J. LeMahieu and Tyler Colvin to the Rockies for Casey Weathers and Ian Stewart. Stewart is arbitration eligible so the Rockies are likely to save $2.6M in the deal. The Cubs get there much needed third baseman. I am not as mad as yesterday about the deal but I just don't understand giving up LeMahieu and losing Ryan Flaherty to the Rule 5 draft.
- Stewart is labeled as the starting 3rd baseman right now according to Jed Hoyer. He says they did not give up what they did to have him as a atilt player.
- The Cubs are likely waiting for the Non-Tender deadline to pass before making anymore deals. Rumor has it that Kendry Morales maybe non-tendered in which case the Cubs will sign him.
- The only possible position players I see the Cubs looking at is James Loney and Kendry Morales. Pitching wise there are several players they should look at to add depth like Andrew Miller, Mike Pelfrey, Chris Volstad, Joe Saunders, Andy Sonnanstine, Taylor Buckholtz, and Rich Hill.
- Cubs not too serious about Kuroda.
- The Cubs do have interest in Mark Trumbo but he may not be available.
- We heard earlier today that there have been several talks about the Mets young lefty 1st baseman Ike Davis. A deal could be done fast but both the Mets and Cubs will wait until the Non-tender deadline on Monday before discussing more. You can find the stats for Ike Davis here.
- Cubs have two big sticking points with Prince Fielder. Him wanting at least 7 years and a no-trade clause.
- The Cubs have claimed Jeff Bianchi off of waivers from the Royals. Find more on him here. Looks like he is a valuable replacement for LeMahieu although no real ML experience.
Until Next Time..