UPDATE!!! 12:15 pm-
- The Dodgers are feeling confident they will acquire Ted Lilly.
- Jayson Stark says the Cubs are likely to send Ted Lilly and Ryan Theriot to the Dodgers. No word on what prospects are involved but rumblings suggest maybe Dee Gordon, John Ely, and/or Blake DeWitt.
- Bruce Levine said the Luis Castillo/Oliver Perez/Zambrano deal was made up by the NY media. I can believe that!
- Lilly is still an option for the Yankees if the deal fall through with the Dodgers.
- It may look like the Dodgers will get Lilly and Theriot for Blake DeWitt and two other prospects.
- If Theriot is not included in the Lilly trade then he will head to Arizona for Kelly Johnson. Other media outlets say it is likely Theriot will be traded because at least 3 teams have offers out there for him.
UPDATE!!! 10:45 am-
- The Cubs turned down a deal that would have sent Zambrano to the Mets for Oliver Perez and Luis Castillo. There was a huge difference in price so it is likely the Mets wanted some cash from the Cubs. Heyman did say the Cubs did not want Luis Castillo though so that could have been the hang up. I think the Cubs are making a mistake unless they acquire a guy like Blake DeWitt or Kelly Johnson before the deadline.
- The Yankees will pass on Lilly unless he is given away to them according to Buster Olney.
I will be updating this post all day long as the deadline approaches. Look for "UPDATES" in different colored text at the top of the page.
- The Dodgers and Cubs are making good progress on a deal but have not pulled the trigger yet. Jayson Stark says they are moving in a positive direction.
- Ken Rosenthal says the Cubs are sitting on multiple proposals for Ted Lilly. He says the Dodgers are in the mix but find out they two teams cannot agree on money or players. Someone will give in today with the deadline nearing. It should be noted the Dodgers are also discussing Maholm but are having the same issue with the Pirates.
- Carlos Zambrano said he would waive his no-trade clause but would like to stay with the Cubs. The Cubs think they can trade Z this winter.
- The Cubs are holding out on pitching Z until after the deadline because the Cubs are currently trying to deal him.
- The D'backs have a trade out there to the Cubs that would send James Russell and Ryan Theriot to Arizona for 2nd baseman Kelly Johnson. The issue is the Dodgers want Theriot in a deal with Lilly but the Cubs want Blake DeWitt in any deal with the Dodgers. All this from Bruce Levine this morning. The Cubs would be crazy not to make the deal with the Diamondbacks.
- Therehave been "minor sniffs" on Nady and Fontenot.
- I am hearing Fontenot, Nady, Lilly, and Theriot will all have new homes before the day is done.
- The Dodgers, Twins, Yankees, and Tigers are all likely landing spots for Lilly.
- The Cubs are pushing hard to trade Fukudome to someone before the deadline.