- The Cubs will raise payroll higher than expected. Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times was told by CEO Crane Kenney that the team's payroll will exceed 140 million. The Cubs have 133MM committed to the current group so that is a significant amount. Wittenmyer said the Cubs would be willing to eat 4MM of Marquis' 9.875MM to move him. If the Cubs were to add Peavy they would be around 138 million allowing the Cubs to add a left-handed hitter. Gordon also said Kenney said that he thinks the Cubs' sale will be complete by Opening Day.
- This is according to the San Diego Union-Tribune-
"The chances of the Padres and Cubs pulling off a Jake Peavy trade appear on the rise, if the latest financial report on the Cubs is to be believed"
"are now optimistic they can afford a left-handed hitter and a starting pitcher without great difficulty."
- Buck Martinez was on XM and thinks the Cubs will revisit trade talks for Roberts. Ron Santo said " the Cubs will try to get a leadoff hitter", also saying if doing so Soriano would hit 4th or 5th.
- According to a report from the Sun-Times, Jim Hendry "will be working former boss Andy MacPhail in his latest efforts to land leadoff hitter Brian Roberts."
- A report in the San Diego Union-Tribune said Padres like their chances of getting the Cubs best prospect(Vitters) and mention a 5 for 1 trade that involved Sean Marshall and Kevin Hart. Plus a talent from another club.
- Jim and Kevin plan to meet face to face at the meetings where is deal is likely and identified a couple of clubs that would work as the third team.
- Kevin Towers has already reported in Las Vegas according to a source with Jim Hendry expected to arrive on Sunday. Jim has said he would like to add a left-handed hitter before anything with Peavy takes place but that might not happen with major signings going at a slow pace.
- Jim Hendry would rather acquire players via trade rather than free agency according to sources with Hermida and others on his radar. He prefers Giles according to a baseball exec, but he blocked a trade to Chicago last year and is unknown what it would take to acquire him.
- Cubs sign 3 players to minor league deals, RHP Angel Castro, LHP Jason Waddell, and C Mark Johnson. Here is their stats-
Castro: http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb ... pid=502162
Waddell: http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb ... pid=455730
Johnson: http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb ... pid=150322
- Maddux will announce his retirement Monday. Maddux was loved and/or respected by everyone associated with baseball. He finishes his HOF career with a lifetime 3.16 ERA in 5008.1 IP. He had 3371 SO, 355 wins, 109 CG, and 35 shutouts in 744 games. He is one of the greatest pitchers in baseball history and an all around great human being. Good luck Greg, you will make a great coach someday( hopefully for the Cubs!).