Friday, January 19, 2007

Jeff Samardzija picks cubs over NFL

Thanks to cubs.com-

CHICAGO -- Jeff Samardzija, whom the Cubs selected in the fifth round of the 2006 First-Year Player Draft, will forgo the National Football League Draft and commit to a baseball career.
"I am pleased to announce that today I have reached an agreement on a five-year Major League contract with the Chicago Cubs," Samardzija said in a statement. "Consequently, I will devote my full time and attention to professional baseball and forgo a potential career in the National Football League."
The right-hander's deal includes club options for the 2012 and 2013 seasons. Samardzija, who will turn 22 on Tuesday, went 21-6 with a 3.82 ERA in 50 career appearances, including 31 starts, at the University of Notre Dame. In seven starts across two Class A levels with the Cubs in 2006, Samardzija posted a 2.70 ERA.
Samardzija finished his football career at Notre Dame this year as the program's career leader in receiving yards with 2,593 and receiving touchdowns with 27.
"I want to thank the Chicago Cubs and the Tribune Company for helping make this happen," Samardzija said. "I want to especially thank [general manager] Jim Hendry. His belief in me and my passion for baseball never wavered.
"In closing, I want to let Cubs fans know that I am committed to their team and their goal -- to bring a World Series championship to this great franchise. I only hope I can be a part of that someday."
Samardzija is expected to begin the season at Class A Peoria under new manager Ryne Sandberg, according to the Chicago Tribune.

This is good news for cubs fans, he is gonna be a great mlb player.. I just wish the press conferance would have announced we have signing Z to a long term deal but hey I guess we will have to wait for that.

No comments: