Sunday, March 02, 2008

Marquis on the HOT SEAT!!!

WOW!! This according to MLBTR-

Jason Marquis made it clear today that he does not want to be a member of the Cubs if he is sent to the bullpen.

"I love Chicago," Marquis said. "I definitely want to stay here. This is the place I want to be. I signed here for a reason. But I also signed as a starter, and I think that's where I help the team the most. Obviously we'll see what happens when it's time for [the Cubs] to make their decision.

Apparently Marquis forgot who his manager is. Lou Piniella responded by saying that Marquis will only be in the rotation if he wins a spot.

"Well, if that's the case, he can go somewhere else," Piniella said. "Win a spot in the rotation, you don't have to worry about it. ... I've got seven starters here for five spots, you know? It's a little bit too early to start talking about what he wants to do or not do...He can go somewhere else right now if he wants. How's that?"

Marquis, who signed with the Cubs prior to last season, went 12-9, with a 4.60 ERA in 34 appearances last year. He has two years remaining on his deal that will pay him $6.4MM this year and $9.9MM in 2009.

Wow, Marquis is not doing himself any favors. By saying something stupid like that he has signed his way out of the north side. I see Dempster and Lieber being in the rotation to start the season leaving Marquis to be traded or in the pen. When are guys like this going to realize that this is a team game. Hey Marquis, follow the lead of Lee, Aram, Cintron, and others... Do what is best for the team, not what is best for Marquis.

No comments: