- According to Lou he likes the dilemma of the closer situation. He really likes how Wood is throwing and wants to see how he responds pitching back to back days and in multiple innings. He also threw out that he is fine with having only one lefty in the pen if he has rightys that can get out leftys.
- He says Howry is off to a slow start. I think that may hurt his chances as closer and it seems he will use Marmol in a setup role. Although nothing is set and wont be for a week or so.
- Mike Fontenot will play SS tommarrow and might find himself as a utility guy on this team.
- Derosa is expected to be in a game Monday or Tuesday.
- Dempster has locked up the 3rd spot in the rotation leaving Marquis, Marshall, and Lieber fighting for the 5th spot.
- I think Lieber will take the 5th spot in the rotation leaving Marquis as trade bait. His comments earlier this week didn't help his cause and Lieber's pitching today was incredible which didn't help Jason either. There are plenty of teams looking for pitching depth like the Angels. There is also a rumor that Marquis could be part of the Roberts deal if the O's include Payton which would fill the need for there 4th outfielder that can play all over the outfield.
- To me the Cubs will carry 12 pitchers to start the season. My starters are Z, Lilly, Dempster, Hill, and Lieber. My 7 relievers are Wood, Howry, Marmol, Eyre, Weurtz, Hart, and Marshall as a long reliever( if he is not traded in the deal for Roberts)( that is if it even happens). If Marshall is traded I can see Cotts, Jose Ascanio, or maybe Lahey picking up the the last spot or if they made the trade. They may go into opening day will just 11 pitchers.
- The ideal trade for the Cubs-
Cubs get Roberts, Payton, and George Sherrill
O's get Jason Marquis, Sean Gallagher, Eric Patterson, Matt Murton, Ronny Cedeno, and Jose Ceda or Donald Veal.
Seems like a lot to give up but all these players are either blocked by other players or have heavy contract like Marquis.
The Cubs would get the starting 2nd baseman and leadoff hitter, there 4th outfielder, and another lefty in the pen. They would not give up Colvin, Pie, Fuld, or Marshall in the deal leaving depth in CF and in the rotation. Its a win-win for both teams!