UPDATE!- According to numerous media outlets including David Kaplan and Ryan Dempster himself saying no deal is in place. I am hoping his is just a formality but if this in fact does not go through it is the worst case of media jumping on a band wagon I have ever seen.
UPDATE 2!- Sources tell David Kaplan that the hold up is Ryan Dempster’s approval. He says it has not been given yet and leads to speculation that an extension is coming from the Braves to Dempster. It is unlikely that Demspter would veto the trade.
UPDATE 3!- This does not look good. Joe Sheehan says via twitter the Braves have vacated the Dempter trade.
UPDATE 4!- Joe Sheehan has jokes saying his tweet about the Braves pulling out was a joke but also saying the deal is not completed. This makes more sense.
UPDATE 5!- Dempster walked into the Cubs clubhouse today getting dressed in a Cubs uniform. He is still officially a Chicago Cub.
UPDATE NOW- Cubs and Braves have an agreement but the Dempster twitter comment suggested 10/5 veto rights may come into play.
The Chicago Cubs have traded Ryan Dempster and Cash to the Atlanta Braves for Randall Delgado. Randall Delgado is a 22 year old righty who was ranked the 41stbest prospect in the majors going into this season. He has 24 career starts where he has a record of 5-10 with a 3.98 ERA. Delgado has 56 free passes to his 91 K’s over the 126 innings he has pitched. The Cubs will be giving up 12 starts for Ryan Dempster for a 22 year old pitcher with major league experience that will not be arbitration eligible until 2015 and a free agent until 2018.
This is the definition of a slam dunk for Theo and Co. and should only raise the value of pitchers like Matt Garza and Paul Maholm.
More news and notes….
- The A’s have joined the race for Matt Garza and have a healthy robust farm system. Guys like Granier, Gray, Cole, Peacock, Straily, and Griffin should interest the Cubs.
- If the A’s dealt for Garza it is your typical Billy Beane move considering if he does not make the playoffs this year or next he can deal Garza to replenish his system since he will have him beyond this season.
- The Cubs have not completely shut out the Dodgers because according to Jim Bowden the Dodgers and Cubs are discussing a deal that would send Zach Lee to the Cubs for Garza. Of course more would come the Cubs way but he would headline the deal.
- Sources tell me the Cubs want Zach Lee plus 3 other top 12 prospects for Garza from the Dodgers or Zach Lee, a major league pitcher (Nathan Eovaldi?), and a top 10 prospect.
- The Cubs are still taking calls on about half their 25 man roster and even some prospects according to sources.
- Sounds like Garza will not hit the DL or even miss a start