Here are some quick hits from a day filled with talk and no action for the Cubs-
- Randy Wells is done for the year because he is having elbow surgery.
- Garza will pitch a side session on Friday and if everything goes well he will pitch Monday’s game.
- Buster Olney is reporting the Cubs are hoping Dempster changes his mind about Atlanta.
- Morosi says the Dempster deal with the Dodgers is not dead but the Cubs are upset because they lost all leverage.
- The Cubs are prepared to hold onto Dempster if they do not get the deal they want. They will then offer him a qualifying offer to hope to obtain a draft pick after the first round.
- Olney says the Dodgers are confident they can get a deal done for Dempster.
- The Braves GM says a deal for Dempster is not dead and they have not ruled him out. It is just unlikely and noted some parameters expired already.
- Soriano seems like he maybe the first piece to leave the Cubs. He is getting interest from the Bucs, Indians, and Rays.
- The Cubs were interested in acquiring Nate Eovaldi in a Dempster or Garza trade but they went away when he was traded for Hanley Ramirez.
- Cole Hamels gives the Cubs a boost by signing an extension with the Phillies. One less piece on the board.
- A package around Allen Webster could be coming the Cubs way if they deal Dempster to the Dodgers.
- The Braves are very interested in Zach Greinke but so is a lot of teams and his price is higher than Garza and Dempster.
- The Pirates are now unlikely to land Paul Maholm since the Buccos traded for Wandy Rodriguez.
- Stat guru Cliff Lippert makes a nice prediction that I agree with on twitter. He says Dempster approves trade today because he won’t have to face the Chicago media during next homestand. Cliff confidence level is at 46%. I just don’t know if he will be traded to the Dodgers or Braves.
- The Rays recently DFA Matsui… Could they be working a deal for Soriano?
- Several Cubs maybe dealt after the deadline like Reed Johnson, Carlos Marmol, Geovany Soto, Jeff Baker, and Shawn Camp sources tell me.
- Many execs feel the Jays or the Rangers will land Josh Johnson which would be cool I guess.
- The Angels have interest in Matt Garza but won’t pull a trigger until they see how he pitches next.
Until Next Time..