- Ed Price of MLB fanhouse said the Cubs are interested in former NL Cy Young award winner Brandon Webb. Webb is coming off shoulder surgery but has been throwing the ball this off season. His agent thinks he can throw 180-200 innings this season and be as dominate or close to as dominate as he was before the injury. The Cubs and Webb seem like a good match-up considering the Cubs money issues and Webb only wanting a one year deal loaded with incentives. To me this makes the most sense for the Cubs.
- Rosenthal said the Cubs and Brandon Webb have mutual interest but it is still early in the process. Sources have confirmed that Jim Hendry has contacted Webb's agent on more than one occasion.
- If the Cubs lose out on Webb then they will turn their attention to Erik Bedard or Jeff Francis. Both are in similar boats as Webb but with not as high of a ceiling. If I was Jim I would go for Webb and if I do not get him then go after Padilla or Harang.
- The Cubs have some interest in Brad Hawpe for their first base vacancy. I honestly see him more of a bench guy than anything.
- The Cubs view Chris Archer as a top 10 pitcher in the ML in a couple years.
- Brett Jackson will likely take the same track as Castro this season and get a call up around May.
- Chris Carpenter could be a option for the bullpen while Archer and Cashner could make their way into the starting rotation sometime this season.
Until Next Time...