- The Cubs are one of 5 teams who like Jose Contereras. The others are the Cards, Rockies, Phillies, and Padres.
- The Cubs already have watch Ben Sheets throw some but they are going to get a closer look on Tuesday where he will throw for about 10 teams. Hard to see the Cubs signing him to an incentive laden deal with that many teams interested.
- Reed Johnson is still on the Cubs radar for the fourth outfielder spot.
- The Cubs invited 19 non-roster invites to Big League Camp. There are 3 guys on this list I can see making the Big Show to start the season, they are Bobby Scales, Andrew Cashner, and Brad Snyder. With Snyder being the most likely out of the three in my opinion.
- The Tribune says the Cubs are looking for a right-handed platoon player with Fukudome in RF and said they have interest in Nady and Dye. Nady has good numbers against lefties posting a .308 Avg, .383 OBP and has similar numbers at Wrigley. Dye on the other hand not as impressive hitting .287 with .366 OBP. One source says the Cubs interest in Dye is sincere but will not go about an one year deal worth 3-4 million.
I will ask this again why not Sheffield? A career .307 hitter against lefties, .405 OBP and .929 OPS. His lifetime stats are better than Dye and Nady, he can play both corner spots and first (better defensively than Dye but not Nady), and will cost a lot less than Dye or Nady. I understand he has "attitude" issues but he is not like Bradley, trust me on this! The Cubs should pick up Shef over both Nady and Dye.
- The Cubs like Kiko Calero but are worried about his shoulder issues.
- Jim Hendry is discussing potential deal with the Padres, Blue Jays, and Rockies according to Levine. The players I am speculation that could be involved is the Padres Kevine Kouzmanoff, the Blue Jays Frasor or Travis Snider, and the Rockies Ryan Spilborghs.
Until Next Time...