UPDATE- 11:30am- The Cubs are poised to acquire Jason Bourgeois from the Astros according to my sources. The Astros recently designated Bourgeois for assignment. The 28 year old hit .316 with .354 OBP while playing all three outfield positions in AAA. He is a switch hitter logged 541 games at 2b, 228 games in the outfield, 119 games at SS, and 6 at 3b in his minor league career. He can steal a base and plays really good defense. He should be a really good addition for the Cubs. Here is his stats.
Here is the latest from Bruce Levine who is in Phoenix for the owners meetings. They are expected to have all 30 GMs in attendance and the possibility of a mini Winter Meetings is expected. Lets check it out!-
- The Cubs have discussed trading Sean Marshall, Fontenot, Gorzelanny, and Guzman in possible deals that would get them a fourth outfielder or veteran relief pitcher. I am surprised they are dangling Guzman.
- Levine says Guzman is the most likely out of the bunch to bring back an outfielder or setup man. The Cubs are unsure about the stability of Guzman's arm.
- The Cubs should extend Derrek Lee's contract.
- Jim Hendry will have to be a bottom feeder this winter because Ricketts has frozen payroll.
- Ryan Theriot will be moved to 2nd base eventually with Starlin Castro at SS. Levine said he would not be shocked if he moves Ryan in ST if Castro gets off to a good start.
- The Cubs see Shark as a starter and he will have every opportunity to earn that spot. My guess is he will either be a starter for Chicago or sent to AAA as a starter.
- The Cubs have talked to "a few teams about trades" for a right handed reliever. He mentions Jason Frasor.
- Money is an issue. What is new?
- The Rox want a bullpen arm for Ryan Spilborghs.
- The Cubs have not interest in Felipe Lopez according to Bruce Levine's source. I may have to give up on them acquiring a 2nd baseman.
- The Cubs signed right-handed reliever Jeff Kennard who was 3-1 in 40 games for the AAA Reds team last season with a 2.83 ERA.
- There will be a lot of minor league signings with invites to ST in the next 10 days.
- Little FYI for all you out there. Derrek Lee and Ted Lilly will all be free agents after the end of 2010 with Aramis Ramirez having the opt-out clause after the 2010 season. Aram can opt out of his contract and become a free agent for the 2011 season. If all those players leave the Cubs would remove 40 million dollars off of their 2010 payroll with just those three players leaving (though I hope we retain all three for 2011, especially Aram). That would put their payroll around 100 million to start the 2011 off season if those three decided to leave. Something I found interesting.
Until Next Time....