- NO! That is the answer Jim Hendry gave when asked if Vitters, Castro, and Cashner are available. According to many Cub officials all three are off limits even for the likes of Roy Halladay.
- If the Cubs cannot acquire a guy for center field via trade (like Granderson) they may go for a middle of the road free agent signing. Some names being tossed around are of course Marlon Byrd and Mike Cameron. Cameron is the most affordable of the two and probably better offensive and defensively. Some other names being thrown out there are Rick Ankiel and even CoCo Crisp. I also would not count out Johnny Damon even though he is the most expensive out of the bunch.
- The Cubs remain interested in getting a guy who can play all three outfield spots but won't cost as much as Reed Johnson will. Some guys that fit that bill are Rocco Baldelli, Endy Chavez, and Scott Podsednik. I think Rocco or Pods would fit great on this team as a 4th outfielder but they have to deal Bradley first of course.
- The Cubs are still eyeing an upgrade at 2nd base but do not want to overspend for one. The Cubs hope is to trade Milton Bradley away and get Luis Castillo in return but that has not worked out yet. The Cubs also like Felipe Lopez, Orlando Hudson, Placido Polanco, and recently have been linked to Adam Kennedy. I think the Cubs should try damn hard to get Lopez, Hudson, or Castillo. All three are switch hitter, good defensively, and can be had for two years or maybe less. They can also be had for a decent price and with Lopez you get a guy who can play all over the field. Hendry needs to get one of the three.
- A nice situation would be the Cubs trading Bradley and getting Luis Castillo, signing CoCo Crisp, Rocco Baldelli, and Noah Lowry or Brett Meyers. Then trading away guys like Aaron Miles and Mike Fontenot to relieve some cash.
Until Next Time.....