- Mike Fontenot was granted super two status which means he is arbitration-eligible and will cost the Cubs more money next season even though he does not deserve it. This means Fontenot maybe traded or non-tendered this offseason.
- The Rays are still discussing a trade that would net them Bradley and send Burrell to the Cubs but talks are moving at a snails pace.
- I have word that the Cubs will be "players" on Bradon Phillips regardless of his contract and the cost of players. Sources say Jim and Co. love the "attitude" of Phillips and how he is a "gamer."
- Jim feels goo about the meetings and says he has a good feeling that the Cubs will be able to make a few good moves before the Winter Meetings Dec. 7th.
- The Cubs will not have enough money to land Marlon Byrd at his asking price right now.
- Bruce Levine reported the Tigers as another team that is interested in Milton Bradley. The Tigers are one of the few teams this winter looking to subtract their heavy contract and replenishing the team with smaller contracts and younger players. The Tigers have made rumor headlines by making Curtis Granderson, Bradone Inge, and Edwin Jackson available via trade. The Cubs have strong interest in Granderson. Granderson is owed 25.75 million over the next 3 seasons and would be a good swap for the Cubs if they could include Milton Bradley in the deal. Bruce Levine said there is interest and the Cubs have kept in contract with the Tigers even as recent as today. One unfounded rumor going around is a three team trade where the Tigers would get Pat Burrell, Sean Marshall, Aaron Heilman, and Sam Fuld, the Rays would get Milton Bradley, and the Cubs would receive Curtis Granderson. With the Cubs, Rays, and Tigers all exchanging some cash one way or another. Paul Sullivan said the deal would include Starlin Castro and Carlos Marmol. Try again Sullivan, Castro is untouchable!
Either way the Cubs need to get Granderson and if they ship of Bradley in a deal to do so, man Jim would really redeem himself for the last offseason.
More to Come.....