HAPPY POST VALENTINE’S DAY!
· The Angels and Cubs have had recent trade discussions about a “few players” as source tells me. Not knowing the players I think it could be Garza and/or Marmol considering they have had interest in both previously.
· Jeff Samardzija is not interested in a long-term deal yet. But he was offered one last fall to the tune of 5 years.
· Here is a great write up on Javier Baez onBleacherNation by Sahdev Sharma who I suggest following on twitter as well.
· Casey Coleman will be working his way back but only as a reliever.
· Travis Wood is looking a lot better than he did than last year at this time.
· As of right now it seems the rotation will be Matt Garza, Jeff Samardzija, Edwin Jackson, Scott Feldman and Travis Wood.
· The Cubs are going to “baby” Scott Baker who is coming back from arm issues.
· Carlos Villanueva will be pitching out of the bullpen as a long reliever/spot starter.
· Matt Garza is looking more impressive than he was last year at this time.
· While Jeff Samardzija looks in playoff form.
· A trend we see that gives the Cubs a leg up on signing free agents can be summed up in this Scott Hairston quote”There was a lot of interest early on, but I don’t think there was enough interest to make anything happen. Interest is a word that can be described in many ways. The Cubs had real interest and they made things happen. I was happy to have both New York teams want me there, but when it came down to it, the Cubs wanted me the most, and that’s why I’m here.”
· Early interest has really benefited the Cubs this off-season.
· Welington Castillo will be the starter behind the plate with Dioner Navarro as his backup.
· The Cubs will give Hairston, Castillo, and others a look at first since the Cubs do not have a true back-up on the roster.
· It seems early on that Brent Lillibridge has the inside track for a bench spot on this team. He has played every position on the field except catcher and pitcher.
· In case you missed it Tony Campana was DFA assignment and looks like he could be traded within the 10 day time period otherwise he will be claimed off waivers by someone.
· Speaking of Campana he was claimed by the White Sox in August off of waivers but pulled by after a trade was not reached.
· It is unlikely the Cubs make a move for a back-up first baseman but it is not impossible.
· Brett Jackson has no plans to start in Iowa this season, he is determined to make the Cubs roster.
· I think the Cubs should beef up their minor league system with some vets by inking Grady Sizemore and Freddy Sanchez to minor league deals.
· Kyle Lohse does not make sense for the Cubs according to everyone.
· The Cubs adding more night games this season seems in jeopardy.
· Brett Lillibridge sounds like could get spot starts and lead off against lefties.
· Do not count out David Sappelt starting many games for the Cubs this season. The Cubs front office loves his attitude, defense, and bat.
· The Cubs are still likely to make a move or two before Opening Day.
· Please check out the FANTASTIC write up on aSoriano-for-Stubbs trade on Cubs Den. I would be all for that trade!
Quick Bruce Levine Hits-
· Garza will get a lot more on the open market than Jackson. DUH!
· Someone will trade for Campana soon.
· Angels could be interested in Marmol if Madson’s injury is bad enough.
· Return on Marmol would be a very good younger player.
· Brett Jackson will not be traded.
· He sees Garza on the Blue Jays or Rangers by August 1st this season.
Until Next Time…