· Jon Heyman is reporting the Rays Jeremy Hellickson is drawing more trade interest than any other member of the Tampa Bay rotation. One of those teams is the Cubs as I reported back on October 31st (see here). As I stated before the Rays and Cubs match up well as trading partners.
· So already two free agents signings (David Ortiz and Joel Peralta) and I have nailed them both in my “HSC Top 75 Free Agents with Team Predictions” found here.
· Torii Hunter is just looking for a 2-3 year deal and is willing to consider non-contenders in order to start every day. Again a really good match for the Cubs.
· The GM meetings are happening Tuesday so expect a lot of trade and free agent chatter to start. It is usually a lot of talk with not too much action but it is a good place to lay the foundation for trades during the winter meetings.
· Jed Hoyer says the Cubs would like to add a good defender to the outfield, can play all three spots.
· I am hearing rumblings that the Cubs maybe willing to sign a big money outfielder as long as it does not interfere with their vision for the future. Maybe Bourn, Upton, Swisher, Victorino, and Pagan are all possible targets for the Cubs after all.
· The Cubs could still bring in Haren but won’t likely bring him in on a multi-year deal.
· There is numerous teams interested in Marmol including the Yankees and given what happened with the Angels he will be gone by opening day. They will not have him pitch for a team that does not want him.
· Levine talks about Casey McGehee as a possible fit for 3rd???? What? No way Bruce… No way!
· Do not think the Cubs are just looking to trade Soriano. They are also getting feelers on DeJesus as well.
· The Cubs may actively push Darwin Barney into a trade package for a legit young third baseman sources tells me. The Tigers have had the most interest in Barney and they have young stud Castellanos available so there could be a match there.
· If you were the Cubs/Red Sox GM would you trade Garza and Brett Jackson for Jacoby Ellsbury and Daniel Bard? I would if I could work out an extension for Ellsbury first. Discuss among yourselves.
· Want to refresh yourself on the what HSC picked for the Cubs off-season targets. You can here. Now Ervin Santana is off the board; I now think the Cubs should sign Shaun Marcum or Scott Feldman to add with Francisco Liriano.
Until Next Time…