- Ø First off it you want to know your important MLB dates head over to BleacherNation.
- Ø The Cubs have hired the top college coach for their Minor League Pitching Coordinator position. His name is Derek Johnson and he is the bee’s knees says Baseball America-
Johnson, the 2010 Baseball America/ABCA Assistant Coach of the Year, deserves a great deal of credit for helping Tim Corbin build Vanderbilt into an elite program on the national level. Johnson joined the Vandy staff a year before Corbin was hired as head coach in 2002, and Corbin made the wise decision to keep him on the staff. In the last decade, Johnson has earned a glowing reputation among his peers and the scouting community for his ability to develop power arms, including David Price, Mike Minor, Sonny Gray, Jeremy Sowers and plenty of others.
He’s had as much impact on our program as anyone,” Corbin told BA in the fall of 2010. “I think what D.J. has done with these kids is far-reaching. He’s kept them healthy, he’s made each one of them better. You look at the kids, the pitchers specifically, that have come out of our program, being able to pitch at the next level—it goes without saying . . . We would not have our success without having him on our staff.”
- Ø The Angels are shopping Dan Haren and Ervin Santana before deciding on their options. They have three days to make a decision on those guys so if something happens it has to happen quickly. The Cubs have been linked to Ervin Santana more because of his age, price, and upside where as Haren is more expensive and older. The Cubs are ultimately going to look at these guys to fill their gap in the rotation but it is not known if that will be through trade or wait to see what the Angels do. Only time will tell.
- Ø More on this story from Mike DiGiovanna from the LA Times has a piece from Dipoto saying the team could exercise one or both options, trade one or both, or decline both options. All scenarios are in play. So at least he is not denying it.
- Ø Javier Baez may have ended his AFL season with a hurt left thumb. Good news is he should only miss about two weeks.
- Ø Barney got the Fielding Bible Award and is now up for a Gold Glove which will be announced tonight at 8 PM CT.
- Ø BleacherNation is where it is at! They have the latest on the possible breakup of the Cubs and WGN. If the breakup nets us as fans its own Cubs channel in 2014 having all 162 games and made available through all cable companies nation-wide then I say DO IT!
- Ø The Cubs are expected to re-engage the Braves about Randal Delgado among other pitchers given the Braves surplus of pitching.
- Ø A source told me do not be surprised if Brett Jackson and Josh Vitters are on a different team by Opening Day 2012. Both really don’t completely fit the mold of the Cubs new plan going forward.
- Ø The Rays and Cubs could be a good match up for a trade giving the Rays need for an offensive upgrade the Cubs starving for pitching. A source tells me the Cubs love the idea of trading for Jeremy Hellickson or Alex Cobb but the Rays would rather trade James Shields, Wade Davis, or Jeff Niemann.
- Ø In case you missed it the Cubs lost Volstad to the Royals (I now freaking love the Royals!). The Cubs outright Corpas, Mather, Parker, and Germano to Iowa. The Cubs also claimed 26 year old RHP Carlos Gutierrez from the Twins and in a corresponding move the Cubs DFA Anthony Recker.
- Ø Alberto Cabrera is going to be moved to the starting rotation which I think is a great move.
- Ø The Cubs could look at Placido Polanco as a stopgap at third for a couple years. Other names mentioned in the past are Kevin Youkilis and Scott Rolen (although Rolen may retire).
- Ø The Cubs are hoping to get a great deal on an outfielder who wants to start everyday and end up on a contender half way through the 2013 season which maybe a hard sell. The really like Cody Ross, Angel Pagan, and Shane Victorino but they maybe too expensive. A couple other possibilities are Tori Hunter and Ichiro Suzuki.
Until Next Time…