* The Cubs will call up Travis Wood today and will need to make another move to make room for him. Sending down a position player like Cardenas makes sense but so does putting Blake Parker or Welington Castillo on the DL. I guess we will have to wait and see.
* LaHair will get a day off today for mental rest according to Sveum. LaHair is just 1 for his last 19 and his bat has slowed down. I think scouting reports are catching up to him and he needs to make an adjustment.
* Jed Hoyer would not commit on when they will call up Rizzo but he did say he will not jeopardize what they see in the future for what is happening now. Makes sense.
* June 21st is the earliest day the Cubs can call up Rizzo and still have an extra year of control. After the All-Star break they would get an extra year and avoid super two status.
* The Cubs and Nationals were very close to making a trade that would have sent Marlon Byrd, Darwin Barney, and PTBNL for Danny Espinosa and John Lannan. A few days later Byrd was traded to Boston.
* Sveum did not change around the lineup and is going to wait a week to see what develops. I think a lot of it will hinge on Castillo and Clevenger coming back from their injuries.
* The Giants remain the most interested in Soriano.
* I had one source tell me that if the Cubs are unable to trade Soriano when ready to call up Rizzo they will likely put LaHair in RF, DeJesus in CF, Rizzo at 1st, and designated Reed Johnson for assignment. Campana would see time in place of all three.
* If Chase Headly does not sign an extension with the Padres before next off-season expect the Cubs to pursue him once again.
* Now the latest from Levine-
- Levine says Hoyer and Epstein will find the right time to trade veterans and get a good return for them.
- Levine says that the lineup change could come this week with Castro batting 1 or 2 in the lineup.
- Levine says the Soler issue is taking longer because MLB is making sure he is Jorge Soler.
- Bruce says he sees the Cubs trading Dempster if he cooperates with the Cubs brass. He seems like a long shot to be re-signed though.
- With lack of commitment to Stewart the Cubs might have Josh Vitters, Junior Lake, or Starlin Castro move to 3rd next season.
- Levine thinks the Cubs and Castro are getting close on a long-term deal.
- Levine does see DeJesus as trade bait.
- LaHair may mean more to the Cubs than he is worth to other teams.
- Bruce likes Junior Lake's chances for being called up to the big leagues before Vitters and Szczur. I think he could get moved up to AAA when Rizzo is called up to Chicago.
- Levine says the Cubs see Castillo's struggles at calling games but love his power and cannon for a throwing arm.
- Bruce says no way Soriano follows Kerry Wood and ends up retiring.
- BJax is struggling because he is pressing a bit with anticipation he gets called up this season.
- He could see the Cubs letting Dale go after the development period is done but thinks Dale and his coaching staff is impressive.
Until Next Time....