Doug Padilla did a chat today so check out the highlights-
- Epstein will not change his plans by speeding up rebuilding because of the fan base or attendance.
- The Cubs do plan on calling up Rizzo and BJax to get those early MLB jitters out of the way. They will likely not call them up until the service time is in their favor.
- Pitching will be a target in June’s draft. (I feel the first overall pick for the Cubs will be an infielder though)
- He does not have an answer on what the Cubs will do when they call up Rizzo.
- The likely scenario with Dempster in term of a trade would be to work a deal with a contender for prospects and then present it to Dempster. (Much like what they did with Maddux, but the outcome should be better).
- He says everyone but Castro, Shark, and Rizzo is available at the trade deadline but it would take a big trade to take away LaHair. The Cubs like the idea of LaHair and Rizzo both in the lineup.
- The only way the Cubs can deal Soriano is if they eat $40M of his contract which Theo wants to save money by trading him.
- Vitters is two years away and the Cubs are likely to have Stewart for the rest of this year and the following.
- Scary thought is Koyie Hill may stay around until Soto comes back. That means when Clevenger is brought back; Lalli will be sent down and when Castillo is activated he may end up back at Iowa to get everyday work. So 6-7 more weeks of Koyie Hill, YIKES!
- Travis Wood has secured his spot in the rotation for at least the next few starts; the rest is up to him.
- Sounds like LaHair or Castro is in the lead for the Cubs lone representive in the All-Star game.
- The only other position on the field besides 1st for LaHair is outfield. 3rd is not possible.
- Kerry Wood will be around the Cubs organization but he is on mandated family time. He will be back in a month or two to help the bullpen as an extra coach.
- Campana is a starting CF for years to come says Padilla but he needs quality RBI talent to hit after him to be successful.
Now onto other news and rumors-
- Bleacher Nation has a good piece on Soriano found here and has his new Wrigley Field renovation watch found here.
- Cubs Den has a must read on the Cubs youth and other things to get excited about found here. Cub fans get really excited about Robert Whitenack.
- With news that the Cubs may go two year with Stewart and hope Vitters proves he is ready in that time has many of my readers asking what if he is not. Well if the Cubs plan on competing in 2014 then they would have to go the trade route or free agency. So notable 2014 3rd base free agents are Michael Young, Martin Prado, Alberto Callaspo, and Chone Figgins. So yeah, hope Vitters is ready by then.
Until Next Time…