The Reds sent an overwhelming package of prospects to the Padres for Mat Latos. That package of players included Yonder Alonso, Edinson Volquez, Yasmani Grandal, and Brad Boxberger. Now this affects the Cubs in many ways so lets get down to it-
- The Cubs and Rays are among the most serious teams interested in Anthony Rizzo you can find his outstanding minor league number here. He is only 22 years old and has some limited ML experience after doing so well in the minors. He is now view as expendable from other teams and the Padres because of the acquisition of Alonso.
- The price of Matt Garza just went through the roof because of what the Padres got of Latos. Although do not get too excited because Latos is only 24, not arbitration eligible until 2013, and does not hit the open market until 2016. While Garza is 28, is due for a high arbitration raise, and is a free agent in 2014. Both have comparable numbers but Garza has more experience.
- I am surprised at the reports that the Padres are interested in Garza because he will likely be owed 8+ million next season and is a free agent in 2014. I guess I don't understand the swap of Latos and Garza because of cost issues with the Padres. Unless the Padres are serious about winning in the next two years which could be possible.
- I am hearing from my sources that the Cubs like major league ready players like Chase Headley and Kyle Blanks as well as prospects Grandal (who they recently required from the Reds), obviously Anthony Rizzo, 3rd base prospect Jed Gyorko, lefty Robert Erlin, and former Red Sox prospect Casey Kelly.
- I don't think it would be out of the question for the Cubs to obtain Anthony Rizzo, Chase Headley, Kyle Blanks, Robert Erlin, and Casey Kelly for Matt Garza, Ian Stewart, and Josh Vitters. That is really comparable to what the Cubs gave up for Garza.
- I am hearing the Padres have very little interest in Geovany Soto or Carlos Marmol now.
- If the Cubs did get Grandal or Gyorko or multiple pitchers they could deal Soto, Vitters, or Marmol to add even more depth to their minor leagues.
- On Twitter @CubsDen has a similar thought that a 3rd team would have to get involved to get a deal done. He suggests (I agree with) that Garza would go to 3rd team, San Diego gets prospects, Cubs get Rizzo, pitching prospect, and 3rd player. I would think the Cubs would get more than just 3 players for Garza. Getting Texas involved would be ideal and getting Anthoney Rizzo, Martin Perez, Chase Headley, and Robert Erlin would be amazing but I might be dreaming a bit.
- Cubbies Crib on twitter teased us on a possible Zambrano for Volstad so check there site here for updates.
- Another one of Hot Stove Cubbies friends will have a ton of information today I am sure and that is Bleacher Nation which you will find here.
- The Cubs are interested in signing Paul Maholm to a contract. He would a great pick up especially if the Cubs deal Zambrano and acquire a pitcher or two for Garza.
- The Cubs remain interested in Prince Fielder but many think that is either not true or a smoke screen. Your guess is as good as mine on Fielder, it is a headache trying to follow it.
I think you will be seeing my Twitter blowing up today with re-tweets, suggestions, rumors, and news regarding Rizzo and others. Please stay tuned to @HotStoveCubbies and here for the latest Cubs talk!
Until Next Time...