Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Cubs News and Notes: Marshall, Soriano, Re-build, Lefty Pitchers, and Much More..

- The Chicago Cubs have agreed to terms with Reed Johnson on a one-year deal. Johnson will likely be the 4th outfielder and fits the mold of the recent signings; good defense, runs bases well, takes walks, and plays multiple positions on the field well.
- Adding Johnson does not mean Soriano or Byrd will be dealt but it does not hurt the chances either.
- The Cubs have been discussing a deal with Reds that would send Sean Marshall to Cincy for Travis Wood according to a report late Tuesday night from Ken Rosenthal, This move would be a classic move for the future the Cubs brass and fans have been waiting for. Marshall is owed $3.1M in 2012 and is a free agent in 2013 (he will be due a hefty raise). Wood is only 24 years old, a lefty starter, and pre-arbitration eligible. Looks good to me!
- Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago is reporting a deal is close while @eyeonbaseball on twitter is saying a deal is not.
- The Cubs have been in contact with both Paul Maholm and Jeff Francis according to but they both could be collateral damage if the Cubs acquire Travis Wood.
- The Cubs could be acquiring to minor leaguers in the deal as well. Although I am told they are not top prospects but quality players in the minors.
- Players I would love to have that are not top 10 prospects on the Reds are 1st baseman Neftali Perez, infielder Ronald Torreyes, infielder Henry Rodriquez, and/or Tony Cingrani.
- There were rumors that the Cubs could then flip Wood for a position player like Rizzo but that has been debunked by CubbiesCrib.
- The Chicago Cubs are going to completely rebuild according to David Kaplan. You can see the story here. Although I see his thought process the troubling thing is none of this information is coming from a Cubs source at least that is what I am reading. I also question the signings of DeJesus and Johnson along with the trade of Stewart if they were completely going young and rebuilding.
- @thekapman on Twitter is David Kaplan and he has some more information regarding his story above. Here is what he is saying-
************* He says his MLB sources have been talking with the Cubs and Theo and Co. is committed to a full scale rebuild.
************* He says the Cubs will listen on everyone except Castro.
************* They are not in on Fielder.
************* He says these are not external sources.
- I honestly hope Kaplan is right because that means Soriano, Z, Marmol, Wells, Soto, Byrd, Dempster, etc should not be here on opening day because a full scale re-build is essentially a fire sale. I can understand re-signing Wood and keeping Dempster though because they are Cubs ambassadors.
- Theo Epstein made two more hires for the front office personnel with hiring Matt Dorey as national cross-checker of amateur talent and Kyle Evans he is a former pro scout for the Red Sox.
- The Chicago Cubs announced their minor league managers and staff here.
- The Cubs are still on Fielder but others are making offers according to sources. The thought is the Cubs are still interested but only on a 6 year or less deal. No way they do 7+ years.
- The Rangers are still eyeing Andrew Bailey according to Ken Rosenthal so my question is; are they still interested in Carlos Marmol? The Rangers had rumored interest earlier this offseason.
- The same goes for the Red Sox who say to have interest in Bailey as well. Could they still be in talks with the Cubs about Marmol?

Until Next Time…

No comments: