- The Chicago Cubs have agreed to terms with Reed Johnson on a one-year deal. Johnson will likely be the 4th outfielder and fits the mold of the recent signings; good defense, runs bases well, takes walks, and plays multiple positions on the field well.
- Adding Johnson does not mean Soriano or Byrd will be dealt but it does not hurt the chances either.
- The Cubs have been discussing a deal with Reds that would send Sean Marshall to Cincy for Travis Wood according to a report late Tuesday night from Ken Rosenthal, This move would be a classic move for the future the Cubs brass and fans have been waiting for. Marshall is owed $3.1M in 2012 and is a free agent in 2013 (he will be due a hefty raise). Wood is only 24 years old, a lefty starter, and pre-arbitration eligible. Looks good to me!
- Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago is reporting a deal is close while @eyeonbaseball on twitter is saying a deal is not.
- The Cubs have been in contact with both Paul Maholm and Jeff Francis according to MLBTR.com but they both could be collateral damage if the Cubs acquire Travis Wood.
- The Cubs could be acquiring to minor leaguers in the deal as well. Although I am told they are not top prospects but quality players in the minors.
- Players I would love to have that are not top 10 prospects on the Reds are 1st baseman Neftali Perez, infielder Ronald Torreyes, infielder Henry Rodriquez, and/or Tony Cingrani.
- There were rumors that the Cubs could then flip Wood for a position player like Rizzo but that has been debunked by CubbiesCrib.
- The Chicago Cubs are going to completely rebuild according to David Kaplan. You can see the story here. Although I see his thought process the troubling thing is none of this information is coming from a Cubs source at least that is what I am reading. I also question the signings of DeJesus and Johnson along with the trade of Stewart if they were completely going young and rebuilding.
- @thekapman on Twitter is David Kaplan and he has some more information regarding his story above. Here is what he is saying-
************* He says his MLB sources have been talking with the Cubs and Theo and Co. is committed to a full scale rebuild.
************* He says the Cubs will listen on everyone except Castro.
************* They are not in on Fielder.
************* He says these are not external sources.
- I honestly hope Kaplan is right because that means Soriano, Z, Marmol, Wells, Soto, Byrd, Dempster, etc should not be here on opening day because a full scale re-build is essentially a fire sale. I can understand re-signing Wood and keeping Dempster though because they are Cubs ambassadors.
- Theo Epstein made two more hires for the front office personnel with hiring Matt Dorey as national cross-checker of amateur talent and Kyle Evans he is a former pro scout for the Red Sox.
- The Chicago Cubs announced their minor league managers and staff here.
- The Cubs are still on Fielder but others are making offers according to sources. The thought is the Cubs are still interested but only on a 6 year or less deal. No way they do 7+ years.
- The Rangers are still eyeing Andrew Bailey according to Ken Rosenthal so my question is; are they still interested in Carlos Marmol? The Rangers had rumored interest earlier this offseason.
- The same goes for the Red Sox who say to have interest in Bailey as well. Could they still be in talks with the Cubs about Marmol?
Until Next Time…