UPDATE 11:00 PM- The Cubs are currently negotiating with Paul Maholm. No word yet if talks have progressed but he would be nice depth in the rotation and likely would end the Cubs pursuit of Joe Saunders if Paul is signed.
- Several sources (most notably the New York Post) are reporting that the Jays are believed to have won the bid on Darvish with a bid larger than $40M. There will not be an announcement until Tuesday or Wednesday
- I have not heard anything on how much the Cubs have bid but one source says it is large but not expected to win.
- Bleacher Nation has some great spin on the Jays winning the Darvish post. He says it probably takes them out of the Fielder race, it leaves the Rangers in the market for Matt Garza, and it may spur the Yankees on to wanting to acquire someone like Garza even more.
- The Chicago Cubs finally have their coaching staff together by finally naming Dave McKay as their 1st base coach. McKay is known for great outfield work with players and great base running knowledge. He will be a great asset to the team. McKay joins, Dave Sveum (manager), Judy Jaramillo (hitting coach), Chris Bosio (pitching coach), Jamie Quirk (bench coach), Les Strode (bullpen coach), and third base coach Pat Listach.
- Yoenis Cespedes has not taken up residency yet so he is not a free agent but that should change soon.
- The Cubs are still very much in on Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler as well.
- Believe it or not Chase Headley (my favorite target this offseason) is still on the Cubs radar. He is the most coveted and likely to be dealt by the Padres.
- The Red Sox, Rangers, Angels, and Royals all have interest in Carlos Marmol.
- It is hard to determine what is true or false with the conflicting reports out there so I will defer you to a site that has more patience that I do on the Fielder front. Bleacher Nation has an “Obsessive Prince Fielder Watch” found here.
- The Cubs maybe waiting on Darvish before actually engaging in on talks with pitchers like Rich Hill, Joe Saunders, and Tim Wakefield.
- The Cubs maybe also be waiting on Darvish to make moves in general with all the smoke and no fire the past week.
- Want two other names the Cubs are interested in? Omar Vizquel and Wilson Betemit. The Cubs view both these players in the utility role because they are good defensively; can play multiple positions well, and in the case of a great clubhouse guy and mentor Vizquel provides those intangibles.
Until Next Time..