Winter Meetings day one is like a first date, a lot of talk but no action.
- Rumors sparked that the Cubs talked to the Dodgers about a potential James Loney deal but that was quickly shot down by a source close to the Dodgers saying he is not available.
- Mark Riggins was named the Cubs pitching coach today as expected.
- The Cubs are looking to trade Fukudome but only if they can get the acquiring team to take on half his salary.
- Sources say the Cubs offered Cashner and Colvin in a deal for Adrian Gonzalez but not Castro.
- The Cubs are still waiting for Carlos Pena's asking price to come down but that won't stop Hendry from meeting with Boras about Pena soon according to Carrie Muskat
- The Cubs offered Lance Berkman a one year deal worth 8 million in deffered payments but he chose to sign with the Cards for the same amount to play LF.
- The Cubs are very much in on Brandon Webb but are getting good competition from the Nationals. He could sign this week with one or the other.
- The Cubs like Yonder Alonso from the Reds but he is unlikely to get moved within the division.
- The Red Sox are now looking to add a complementary outfielder rather than a guy like Carl Crawford. Sources say the Cubs and Red Sox have had talks regarding a possiable Mike Cameron/Fukuodme swap or a Scutaro/Fukudome trade. Both Sox players make half the salary of Fukudome so a straight swap could happen. Cameron would be a good 4th outfielder and platoon guy with Colvin while Scutaro would be the Cubs starting 2nd baseman.
- Jim Hendry has had talks with the Royals about both Billy Butler and Kila Ka'aihue. He has also spoken with the Astros about Carlos Lee and the Yankees Nick Swisher. With Swisher and Lee it is likely contract like Fukudome, Zambrano, Ramirez, or Silva would have to go the other way unless the Yanks or Stros kicked in some cash.
Until Next Time..