Here is the latest on Brandon Webb-
- The Cubs remain interested in Brandon Webb according to sources but it appears the Rangers have the inside track maybe offering more money.
- Today we heard Brandon Webb will make a decision but now we are hearing that is not even true.
- We also heard he is nearing agreement with the Rangers but that was shot down as well.
- I am hearing the Cubs will not go beyond 6 million a year including incentives with an option for 2012. The Rangers may go 6-8 million a year plus incentives and an option for 2012. Maybe overpaying for a guy coming off shoulder surgery.
- I am less optimistic about Webb becoming a Cub than I was two weeks ago. I bet he signs with the Rangers because they will overpay to get him.
Here are the latest non-Webb rumors-
- ESPN Chicago says Jim Hendry needs to pull the trigger on a top of the rotation pitcher if they want to compete in the central. They name Matt Garza and Fausto Carmona. This is the first time we have heard Carmona’s name and could be a good option for the Cubs but they would likely battle the Yankees and Rangers stellar farm system.
- Many teams have called the Cubs about Robinson Chirinos and Hak-Ju Lee. Chirinos I view as a trading chip while Lee I view as being with the Chicago Cubs in 2012.
- WGN signed Pat Hughes to a 5 year extension. It is much deserved because he is one of the best in the game.
- Matt Garza will likely not be traded until the deadline according to reports.
- The Cubs are still shopping Gorzelanny and Fukudome, maybe even as a package. The Mets and Tigers remain interested in Tom while there are little to no interest in Kosuke.
- The roster is standing at 41 so a roster move is expected very soon.
Until next Time….