- The Brewers made another bold move this offseason sending Alcides Escobar, Lorenzo Cain, Jermey Jeffress, and Jake Odorizzi to the Royals for Zach Grienke. The Brewers have really made their rotation solid this offseason adding Marcum and now Grienke. Add them to Narveson, Gallardo, and Wolf and you have a really good rotation.
- With the Yankees, Nationals, and Rangers again missing out on another Ace expect them to up the pursuit of Matt Garza who is apparently not available now (just posturing). Clubs could also try to trade for Jeremy Guthrie but he is not in the same league as Grienke, Garza, and Lee. This hurts the Cubs because now their chance of landing an Ace is slim to none because a team will have to overpay for whoever they land. Something the Cubs will not do and I do not blame them.
- The Cubs are still in on Brandon Webb but are in no rush signing him. Bruce Levine calls him a project and may need time to be in game shape. I disagree, I think Brandon Webb will be ready by ST and this is the Cubs trying to drive down the price of Webb. They better stop fooling around because I can see the Nationals signing Webb very soon if the Cubs do not.
- Jim is shopping Gorzelanny and Fukudome aggressively. The Tigers and Mets really like Gorzelanny but not trade appears to be close. Fukudome on the other hand maybe tougher to trade.
- By now you have heard that rumored Fukudome for Rowand trade. It does not make any sense for the Cubs because they would be taking on two more years of bad money and only giving up one. Not a good trade for the Cubs which is why it was killed before it even got off the ground.
- With the signing of Kerry Wood it pushes Andrew Cashner to a chance to win a spot in the rotation.
- The Cubs would like to trade either Gorzelanny or Wells before the season starts. If they trade one away look for the Cubs to sign Webb soon after.
- Carlos Pena was paid a $2 million signing bonus, which went on the 2010 books. Pena will be paid $3 million in 2011 with the remaining $5 million paid in January of 2012 ... only $3 million of his $10 million contract will be counted on the 2011 payroll according to Bruce Levine. Pena is on my list for stand up guys.
- The Cubs may release Carlos Silva before the season starts if they cannot trade him.
Until Next Time..