- The Cubs payroll will be down this season but how much is still a mystery. But the rumor is Adam Dunn will likely sign elsewhere unless he takes a discount to come to Chicago.
- The Cubs may look at Victor Martinez or Aubrey Huff to fill their void at first base next season. V-Mart will likely command 10 million a season which to me does not make sense for the Cubs. They should have two lists, one that includes free agents like Carlos Pena and Adam Dunn and another that have one year rentals such as Lance Berkman and Nick Johnson.
- The Cubs might need to trade Fukudome before adding any significant free agents according to Bruce Levine. The same thing happened with Milton Bradley last season.
- John Garland might be on the Cubs wish list. Garland is a good competitor and has playoff experience but I think they should go after Brandon Webb.
- Adrian Gonzalas is available via trade and the Cubs are expected to give the Padres a call. Rumor says Cubs would want a 24-48 hour negotiating window with Adrian to lock him up, if a trade is reached. The Padres reportedly were scouting Jay Jackson, Brett Jackson, Brandon Guyer, Hak-Ju Lee, Josh Vitters, Tyler Colvin, Wellington Castillo, Geovany Soto, and others at the end of last season and in off-season baseball. The Cubs will not trade Starlin Castro though.
- Koyie Hill is likely out of the Cubs picture next season, they could look at veteran backup but are likely to go with with one in house.
Until Next Time..