UPDATE- According to Bruce Levine Ryne Sandberg will not be apart of the Cubs in any capacity. Jim says it is Ryno's decision but the door is always open here. Bob Nightengale twitted that Ryne Sandberg even turned down the bench coaching position on Quade's staff. I honestly do not believe he was ever offered the bench coaching job and I think this is spinning for Hendry. Good Luck Ryno!
Another long delay and more news and notes to update you on-
- The Cubs hired Pat Listach as there bench coach. He is a good pickup for Quade’s staff because he too has been through the Cubs system and can appreciate what he has in front of him.
- The Cubs will decrease their payroll from the 144 million they started with last season. How much is the real question and we do not have that answer yet.
- The Cubs have been recently linked to Jayson Werth but I do not see a fit.
- Aramis Ramirez is expected to exercise his option soon.
- CubbieCrib asked if Adam Dunn is worth it and throws out other names that could fill 1st base for the Cubs.
- The Cubs will entertain Kerry Wood coming back to Chicago but will not get in a bidding war for him.
- CCO.com runs down some important dates (at the bottom of the page).
- Free agency starts Sunday at midnight.
- Chris Carpenter is looking good in fall ball hitting 3 digits on the gun out of the bullpen.
The Cubs Organizational meetings started yesterday and they are going to discuss the payroll, if they the afford a left-handed hitter, starting pitcher, and bench help; also Carlos Zambrano’s future with the Cubs, how to trade Fukudome, Adam Dunn, Cashner’s future in the pen or rotation, could Jackson and Archer join the Cubs out of ST, and much more over the next 4 days. Here is the latest out of the meetings after day one is in the books.
- Brett Jackson’s fall ball season is over. He has a bacterial infection in his right shin.
- Nady is not expected to be with the Cubs next season.
- Aramis has until Midnight Thursday to exercise his option, which he is expected to do.
- Pat Listach said he would love Adam Dunn in Chicago. He also expresses the defensive concerns but says Dunn wants to get better defensively and will work very hard to do so.
- The Cubs may have to get creative this winter to acquire the things they need which includes trading Fukudome and maybe Carlos Silva.
- The Cubs do have interest in trading for Adrian Gonzales according to Bruce Levine.
- The Cubs have several options via free agency if Adam Dunn is too expensive. They also have Tyler Colvin who would be the most cost effective.
- The Cubs have 125 million committed to next season with arbitration raises which does not leave much flexibility.
- The Cubs have a lot of interest in Brandon Webb and Jorge De La Rosa.
- The Cubs may listen to offers for Carlos Marmol but will only trade him if they can get a “large package that fill a lot of holes.”
Until Next Time…