Friday, January 01, 2010

Happy New Year... Byrd Signs....Other Notes...

Happy New Year to all! Lets hope 2010 brings the Cubs a World Series ring. Here is the first rumor post of 2010-

- If you do not already know the Cubs have signed Marlon Byrd to a 3 year deal worth 15 million and it is once again back loaded. Byrd will receive 3 million in 2010, 5.5 in 2011, and 6.5 million in 2012. The Cubs had to backload his deal because now after the signing the Cubs can only add about 5-7 million to their payroll this season with many other holes to fill.

I have to say I am surprised the Cubs did not over pay for Byrd. Granted I still think it is a little too much for a guy that has been a fourth outfielder his entire career but at least it was not the rumored 3 years 21-28 million we were hearing earlier this offseason. I do give Hendry credit though by signing a true centerfielder and not making a mistake like he did with Bradley and sign a DH to play outfield. Another good thing with the signing is that Byrd will be with the same hitting coach that helped him put up career numbers last year and that he is one of the best defensive outfielders available.

Overall I give Hendry a B- on this signing because I still think Ankiel would have been a better fit and he should have explored the trade market more.

- Levine says that the Cubs were negotiating with agents for Podsednik and Ankiel before the Cubs agreed to sign Byrd. He will bat anywhere from 5th to 7th in the Cubs lineup.

- The Cubs want to add relievers and a possible swing man who could start or go out of the pen. Don't we already have a couple of those in Silva, Marshall, and Guzman?

- The Cubs like Jason Frasor and have talked to the Jays bout their relievers. He would be a decent pick up. I would rather have Scott Downs or Jeremy Accardo though but I am dreaming I know.

The Cubs now need to move on to getting an everyday 2nd baseman and build up their bench. I just see no reason to sign or trade for a reliever right now. Finding a starting 2nd baseman and getting bench guys are much harder to find. Jim Hendry needs to realize this!

Until next time....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Byrd was the best option at this point. Ankiel is injury-prone and is a strikeout machine. Podsednik can't field, can't throw, and though he steals bases, is a poor base-runner. His is a 1 tool player.

cubbiemike

Nick I Cub Fan said...

Signing Byrd for 3 years which in my opinion is not a CF, tells me the cubs don't feel Fuld or Colvin
are ready yet. Also since the cubs did not trade for a CF they have plenty of relief pitchers. They also have plenty of starters. Thats why the cubs are trying to move Zambrano. Samardzija, Jackson, Diamond, and Cashner are real close to being ready. Just my two cents worth.

Nate B said...

I know people want to see a proven starting 2nd basemen but word is that Fontenot is coming along real well with new hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo and is said to be the most productive out of everyone so far. His D is solid and he proved in 08 that he can hit and maybe just had an off year like many Cubs' players did last year. I say the cubs are fine how they are right now and you should give Fontenot a chance to prove himself and if it doesn't work then trade him during the season if your going to trade him at all. my prediction is that Fontenot will bat .293, 17HR, 76RBI, 27SB. those numbers look crazy right now but come back at the end of the season before calling me crazy