Merry Christmas to all from Hot Stove Cubbies! Here is the latest on Cubs rumors-
- If you have not heard Matt Capps picked the Nationals over the Cubs. It is a shocker but maybe a blessing in disguised because I think the Cubs have more pressing needs than a reliever like a CF, 2nd baseman, and the bench.
- The Cubs also lost out on Kelvim Escobar because he is close to a deal with the Mets. The Cubs were one of the few teams that watched Escobar pitch and had rumored interest. Again I would rather the Cubs address the needs above.
- The Royals are dangling Alberto Callaspo once again for an outfielder. Names rumored are Felix Pie and Chris Dickerson. So it seems they are looking for a young outfielder. I purpose the Cubs look at dealing Sam Fuld, Tyler Clovin, or even Brett Jackson for Callaspo. But that is just a thought.
- According to one of my readers the Royals could be dangling David DeJesus as trade bait. Interesting thought considering the rumor above but hey I would not mind him in CF next season.
- The Cubs were in talks with the Yankees about Zambrano and were reportedly willing to take on Kei Igawa's contract to get it done but the Yankees sent Cabrera to Atlanta for Vazquez.
- The Cubs are now cooling on the thought of Marlon Byrd for CF next season. Byrd is looking now at a 3 year deal worth 21-27 million. The Cubs should not pay that much for a guy that has been a fourth outfielder almost his entire career. A two year deal worth 12 million is about the max price I would pay for him now. Especially since Johnny Damon is considering a two year contract around 20 million now that the Yankees have moved on. Damon for 10 million a year or Byrd for 7-8 million? Who would you choose? Damon!
- It is rumored that the Cubs are now going back to the idea they need a more balance lineup. If they are they should sign Hudson, Ankeil, and Sheffield or trade for Swisher.
Until Next Time....