Opening Day started with rain delays and a pitchers duel and ending with big blasts and big blow ups. Lets take a look at the good, bad, and the ugly.
- Fukudome shut up all his critics by going 3 for 3 with a single, double, 3-run homer, 3 RBI, and a walk. He is worth getting excited about Cub fans. He is the favorite in the NL to win the ROY award.
- Big Z was in form. He took a no decision today but gave up only 3 hits before exiting in the 6th inning with cramps in his arm but he is OK. Its too bad the Cubs could not put up runs early to get the win but when you have Sheets on the mound it is hard to do.
- Pie played some great CF today making some nice catches. Do not worry fans the bat will come around.
- Carlos Marmol is unhittable! I do not know what that pitch he throws that looks like a slider but breaks differently every time he throws it.
- Kerry Wood had a rough debut pitching in the 9th. He hit a batter, gave up 2 hits and 3 runs. I do not think this will be a trend for Woody and I also think the Brewers got pretty lucky on those hits.
- Theriot and Soriano were awful at the plate today. The went 0 for 10 with 4 SO combined. I know it is too early to say this but I feel Theriot is not a leadoff guy and neither is Soriano. Lets hope they can bounce back from today and have a good day at the plate Wednesday.
- Good news for Cubs fans, Eric Gagne will be closing for the Brewers all year. Gagne was terrible in Boston and starts off awful this year. Good news for Cubs, bad news for Brewers.
- Bob Howry had nothing today! He ball has no movement and he is so predictable when he comes out to pitch. He gave up 2 hits and 1 run giving him the lost today. Howry did not pitch well all Spring and is off to a slow start again this season. He needs to pick it up a bit because we need a solid pen to be successful in the division.