- The A's pulled a shocker today signing Cespedes to a 4 year contract worth $36M. This stunned the Marlins who looked like they were in the drivers seat with the Cubs basically pulling out of the race.
- One source told me the Cubs offered Cespedes a longer deal with less salary. Something like a 7 year deal worth $30-35M.
- The reason the Cubs felt like they were out of the race because the Marlins offered 6 years $35M and I am assuming knowing the A's offer of 4 years $36M was just too much for them.
- The Cubs have now turned all their attention to 19 year old outfielder Jorge Soler. Many feel that the Cubs could pay Soler upwards of $30M over several years which others are unlikely to match. Another reason the Cubs have a leg up is because they signed 2 of his teammates already this offseason.
- Want to know more about Jorge Soler check him out here http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/6880/jorge-soler
Until Next Time...