- The Cubs traded for Rodrigo Lopez and sent pitcher Ryan Butcher to Atlanta. The Cubs also designated Robert Coello for assignment to make room for Lopez on the 40 man roster.
- Lopez will get the start Monday in place of recently sent down Casey Coleman. Coleman was sent to AAA because Randy Wells was activated from the DL.
- Lopez is 6-1 with a 2.59 ERA with the Braves minor league club this season. One Cubs scout said Lopez is throwing better than he has in a long time with great movement on his sinker. He will provide the Cubs with veteran leadership and as an inning eater.
- Soto is expected to be activated off the DL Sunday and start behind the dish that day as well. Castillo is expected to be sent back to Iowa in a corresponding move.
- Trade talk is already starting the the struggling 22-28 Chicago Cubs. They are currently 8 games out of first and have 4 teams ahead of them including the Pirates. The Cubs are also 7.5 games out of the wild card with 9 teams ahead of them there. So lets run down the recent trade talk.
***The Red Sox are in need of a right-handed hitting bench bat that can play multiple positions. They have been linked to multi-purpose guy Jeff Baker. No word on what the Cubs could get for him.
***Although the Cubs look like they are in the position to sell they could add an impact player or two that can contribute the next couple of years and is inexpensive money wise. The Cubs have been linked to 4 players recently and talks could progress as we get closer to the deadline. Those four players are Jason Vargas, Francisco Liriano, Gio Gonzalez, and young stud lefty Zach Britton. All four are under team control for two plus years but would likely take a bundle to pry loose especially in Britton and Gonzalez case.
***There are rumors out there about the Yankees, Giants, and Cubs working out a three way trade they would sent Jorge Posada to the Giants (replacing the recently injured Buster Posey), the Yankees would receive Carlos Pena, and the Cubs would get a good prospect like Eric Surkamp or Brandon Crawford from the Giants.
***The Cubs are likely to listen to offers on all players even including Cub favorites like Ryan Dempster and Kerry Wood. Players that will not be moved that are currently on the 25 man roster are Darwin Barney, Geovany Soto, Starlin Castro, and Carlos Marmol. Also prospects like McNutt and Brett Jackson will not be traded as well.
***The Cubs are really trying to make Blake DeWitt looking attractive on the trade market by using on a limited basis and putting him in various positions like LF, 3rd, and 2nd.
Look for the latest Cubs rumors and news here....
Until Next Time...