UPDATE- Fernando Perez was sent to AAA while Scott Moore, Augie Ojeda, Matt Camp, and Bobby Scales were sent to minor league camp. Darwin Barney has officially made the team.
- The Cubs made the third round of roster cuts Weds, when they sent Justin Berg and Scott Maine to AAA Iowa and put Todd Wellemeyer and Angel Guzman to minor league camp. The Cubs are expected to make another round of roster cuts on Thursday that is primarily focused on position players.
- Todd Wellemeyer is contemplating his future after yet another injury. It is likely he may hang it up if he has to go through another surgery.
- Quade should set his rotation after Sunday. Cashner, Looper, and Silva are still battling for the 5 spot in the rotation.
- Zambrano is looking like he maybe finally growing up, he asked to pitch in a minor league game against the AAA Dbacks team.
- Max Ramirez had a MRI on this left wrist but not information has come from that as of yet.
- James Russell looks like he makes the team as the third lefty in the pen.
- It seems Blake DeWitt is on the hot seat because he is now battling Scott Moore and Bobby Scales for the last spot on the bench.
- Silva had several scouts on hand to watch him pitch yesterday and he threw a gem. The Pirates, Nationals, Toronto, and Minnesota all were on hand to watch Carlos pitch. A rumor from last week stated the Pirates were interested in a Ryan Doumit for Carlos Silva trade but Jim has no place for Ryan on this team.
- I am now hearing the Nationals are interested in Silva and maybe offering Nyjer Morgan. Morgan has fallen out of favor with the Nationals who all but named Rick Ankiel there Centerfielder. The Nationals don’t like his “approach to the game” and “attitude he brings to the park” which could be why the want to trade him rather than sending him to AAA. The money on this deal is not close with Silva owed 5 million this season and a 12 million dollar option for 2012 that includes a 2 million dollar buyout. Morgan is owed under 750K. The Cubs would likely have to eat half the contract to get the deal done. If deal happens then it give the 5th spot in the rotation to Cashner or Looper. The Cubs would then have two options 1. Keep the speedy outfielder on the 25 man roster and cut ties with Reed Johnson or 2. Send Morgan to the minors in case an injury occurs to one of the outfielders on the roster. The most likely option is #2 and Morgan would be a better insurance plan than the struggling Perez. This is a potential good deal for both teams that have players that need a change of scenery.
Until Next Time…