Sorry for the delay guys. My computer monitor went out and could not get it replaced until today. So here is the latest from Cubs camp...
- Andres Blanco is out up to two weeks with a knee sprain. Which will likely cost him breaking camp with Chicago Cubs. Since Blanco is out of options I expect him to be placed on the DL to start the season. There are several in house candidates to replace him such as Mike Fontenot, Darwin Barney (who has a great article about him here), and Bobby Scales.
- Starlin Castro will not start the season in Chicago because Lou wants him to get regular playing time in AAA. Lou says the only way Castro starts in Chicago is if Theriot gets injured.
- Guzman is basically out for the season unless the risky surgery is a success. The Cubs currently are looking at the trade market for a veteran set-up guy but were going to use Guzman to acquire such a player. If the Cubs started the season today Cashner and Caridad would set-up for the Cubs.
- Jeff Gray is still having injury woes but could see action soon.
- Nady is expected to make his debut on Thursday against the Padres. He would be used as a DH.
- Kevin Millar has been getting tips from Jaramillo and it is showing. Millar is hitting .400 but so is his competition. Tracy is hitting .400 but Hoffpauir is hitting a weak .143.
- Lilly threw 30 pitches off the mound Sunday and may even see some cactus action but the Cubs are not going to rush him. He is expected to start the season on the DL and be ready in mid April to early May.
- Add Casey Coleman to your list of young Cubs to watch. Coleman has impressed a ton of players, coaches, and fans already with his command and movement on this pitches. He has been compared to Maddux command wise and could be on the fast track to the Majors. Do not be surprised if he gets in the running for the 5 starter spot. Here is a good article on Coleman.
- Carlos Silva is still awful. My guess is he will start the season on the DL or be released.
- The Cubs inquired once again on Jason Frasor says Jerry Crasnick of ESPN. He says the Cubs are "urgently seeking relief help." The Cubs are also looking at Padres reliever Luke Gregerson. Tim Dierkes of MLBTR says that the Cubs could look at Russ Springer, David Weathers, or John Smoltz as free agent candidates but the Cubs have said no free agents interest them. I personally like John Smoltz.
- Add Chad Cordero as an option for the Cubs. He is throwing the ball extremely well in Mariners camp but is not expected to break with the team because of the already stack bullpen. Cordero saved 47 games in 2005 but has been plagued with injuries since. This Spring he is has had limited pitching but has thrown a scoreless inning with one hit. Keep an eye on Cordero.
- Adeiny Hechevarria is free to sign with any MLB team now that he is "unblocked" by the Office of Foreign Assets Control. The 19 year old stud SS is getting interest from the Jays, Angels, Yankees, and now the Cubs. He is likely to get 8 figures which could effect the Cubs signing him not to mention the Cubs already up and coming stud middle infielders already in the minors.
- Colvin, Snyder, and Fuld are all battling hard for the 5th outfielder job on the Cubs. Snyder is batting .444 with an .500 OBP and a homer, Colvin is batting and has an OBP of .500 with a homer and 3 doubles, while Fuld in 2 ABs is hitting .500 with 1 homer and 2 runs. I like Colvin and Snyder both but Colvin gets them better defense and versatility than Snyder does.
That is it for now, until next time.....