- Aaron Miles and Jake Fox were traded today to Oakland for minor leaguers. The Cubs also sent a million bucks to the A's. The Cubs got pitcher Jeff Gray, infielder Matt Spencer, and pitcher Ronny Morla. Gray went 0-1 in 24 games last season with a 3.76 ERA. He also struck out 14 and only walked 4 in 26 innings. Morla pitched in low A-ball and was 1-7 with a 4.86 ERA. Matt Spencer is an outfielder and a first baseman and batted .294 with 26 doubles, 3 triples, and 9 homers in 2009 in Double A.
Looks like a good deal for the Cubs. They were able to stock their system with some young talent while removing 1.7 million bucks by trading Miles away and getting value for Jake Fox who really does not fit in the NL. Looks like a good trade on both fronts. I wish they would have traded for Rajai Davis though.
- According to Diamond Notes the Cubs and Cards are in the lead to sign free agent Vicente Padilla. This is unusual to me because why would the Cubs throw millions at a pitcher when they have so many other holes to fill. I am somewhat for signing him but nothing over a couple million a year. It should be noted that it said formal negotiations will not begin until after the winter meetings. Very interesting and hard to believe.
- The Cubs are still very interested in Curtis Granderson but would prefer to move Milton Bradley first. The Cubs also will not give up Carlos Marmol, Starlin Castro, or Andrew Cashner to get Granderson. Some of the prospects traded to the Cubs today could be used in a deal for Granderson or another outfielder according to sources close to the Cubs.
- The Bradley for Burrell talks are still going on and Tampa seem like the likely fit for Bradley.
- Jim Hendry feels trades will be the focus of the Winter Meeting next week. I can still see the Cubs trading for an outfielder or 2nd baseman and also the Cubs trading away players like Mike Fontenot, Sean Marshall, and some other prospects to get a player like Granderson. The Cubs will of course have to trade Bradley.
- Saito and Polanco are off the Cubs list. Saito signed with the Braves and Polanco will play third for the Phillies. On a side note, it amazes me that the Phillies signed Polanco to a 3 year 18 million dollar deal to play third base. Too much money for a non-third baseman. Makes no sense.
- With Felipe Lopez and Orlando Hudson not being offered arbitration the Cubs have a lot of interest in both players but will see what happens with Bradley because they could acquire Luis Castillo in a possible three way deal with Tampa Bay. Otherwise Hudson and Lopez remain high on the Cubs list.
Until Next Time...